Locking rear differential

goldot

I have a '86 CJ7 with the 258 six cylinder five speed transmission. My question is 'How do identify the type rear end I have so I can get the proper locker?' :-? [addsig]

most did have a 44, but a few still had the amc 20 in them.... the amc 20 is compleatly round and has 12 bolts holding it on, the 44 is more of a square shape[addsig]

ooh yea, and if it turns out and you have a amc 20 you need to up grade to 1 piece shafts w/ a locker or you are asking for trouble[addsig]

Thanks JP89 and farright. I just checked and dang mine appears to be the amc20. Is it too much trouble(and money) to install a locker? My cj does OK offroad, but I have got good and stuck a couple of times. I have been looking at the 'Powertrax no slip traction system' in the Quadratec catalog. What is my best option in your opinion? mud spattered and proud! goldot... :-? [addsig]

first of all dont drop in a locker w/o 1 piece shafts in an amc 20. second there are lockers that replace your whole carrier like a detroit, and other thats go inside your current carrier.... the ones that replace your whole carrier are more expensive, but alot stronger[addsig]

I have an 84 CJ and had the same problems you mention. Great off roading but I have gotten stuck really bad some times. So I bit the bullet and went with the Ox Locker in my AMC 20 rear and haven't been disappointed. I have the comfort of an open differential around town, and the security of a locker off road. No clicking noises.

84 CJ I-6
TFI upgrade
Nutter Bypass
3.54's
BFG's 31" 10.5R
3 Core Radiator with six blade fan
Keyless entry with Alarm
Detroit Locker in front
Ox Locker in rear
Superior one-piece rear axle

"If it ain't broke, buy a new part"

Thanks to all, I have learned so much reading your posts.
[addsig]

For those who don't have lockers and want them, this is all good. But, don't expect that a locker alone in the rear will prevent you from gettin REALLY stuck again! Sure, a locker will help you get through some stuff that you'd get stuck in/on with an open, but locker can and will eventually get you stuck or into situtations you might not want to be in.
The trick in wheeling is to "know your line" I've seen people driving stock (open front & rear) jeeps in stuff that "goats would have problems on" the drivers, one, know their limitation, and two, Know what lines to take to get through.
Lockers are nice (I have them) but I learned with open differentials,
Study the terrain,look for the proper lines, (course all this is out the door when in MUD!)

[addsig]

I would go with the ARB air lockers. These are great off road and you can turn them on and off so when you are driving around town you cant tell that you have them on. The only downside to this is the $ they cost and that you have to purchase an air compressor to power them but this my friend, also has an upside. Witht he compressor you can also air up your tires after a hard day of aired dow wheeling. Good Luck with the project and Keep On Jeepin![addsig]

Back