Old school look wanted

plumbob

Anyone know of a company or website prefered to convert a 97 wrangler Round light and grille to the earlier square look? I saw some conversion quoted square headlights But now what. Would like to find something made to fit Im not a fabricator Thanks!:roll:

It probably wouldn't take much to make a YJ grille fit on a TJ, a lot of grille related installation instructions, fenders and things like that, are the same for both models.

I think though most people would say Jeep went back to round headlights to get back to the half a century they had them before the YJ, so "old school" 1941 - 1986, was round

First time I hear of a TH owner wanting the YJ grill... I have seen some CJ and TJ grills on YJ's, but not this...

......I think though most people would say Jeep went back to round headlights to get back to the half a century they had them before the YJ, so "old school" 1941 - 1986, was round

Maybe a "middle school" look. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

(Sorry YJ'ers - I am one - couldn't resist)

it can and has been done. there is no specific kit, you will need YJ hood, grill and fenders.

you will have to re-drill the fenders to match the bolt locations on the tub, the hood does not line up 100% with the cowl, and the grill frame mount will need to be cut off and reworked.

if you really want square head lightls, sell you TJ and go buy a YJ and pocket the difference. with age, YJ's are far more durable IMHO. I have been seeing lots of 97-01 TJ's with horrible frame rot around the rear control arm links, suspension bushings are a real ***** as the vehicle gets up in age.

it can and has been done. there is no specific kit, you will need YJ hood, grill and fenders.

you will have to re-drill the fenders to match the bolt locations on the tub, the hood does not line up 100% with the cowl, and the grill frame mount will need to be cut off and reworked.

if you really want square head lightls, sell you TJ and go buy a YJ and pocket the difference. with age, YJ's are far more durable IMHO. I have been seeing lots of 97-01 TJ's with horrible frame rot around the rear control arm links, suspension bushings are a real ***** as the vehicle gets up in age.
THANKS for the reply.To the contrary,here in illinois,you can not find a yj that IS NOT rotted out especially the floors. You have to look for a total restoration Big $ for old Iron! not me they still depreciate big time Thanks anyway

Anyone know of a company or website prefered to convert a 97 wrangler Round light and grille to the earlier square look? I saw some conversion quoted square headlights But now what. Would like to find something made to fit Im not a fabricator Thanks!:roll:

it's like a bullet in the head....there's a reason they're not availible...cuz it's just plain retarded.

rubn1out said:
it's like a bullet in the head....there's a reason they're not availible...cuz it's just plain retarded.

Really? Is this based on your personal opinion that the grille/headlight styling of a YJ is less than aesthetically pleasing? Or are you implying that a YJ is mechanically inferior to it's CJ/TJ counterparts and therefore you find it difficult to comprehend that one would want to mask the superiority of their model by wearing the "face" of the inferior one?
Or, maybe the 1st place YJ had it's factory headlights?

Really? Is this based on your personal opinion that the grille/headlight styling of a YJ is less than aesthetically pleasing? Or are you implying that a YJ is mechanically inferior to it's CJ/TJ counterparts and therefore you find it difficult to comprehend that one would want to mask the superiority of their model by wearing the "face" of the inferior one?
Or, maybe the 1st place YJ had it's factory headlights?

Well...gotta go with popular opinion on this one...if it was cool..stands to reason there would be a kit availible. But try it...you never know..

Wikipedia said that the YJs and the CJs were not that different except for the grill. I assume later CJs and early YJs.

Are there other differences that one might want to know about before buying a YJ and then changing the grill. Are resale on the CJs still going to be higher? Is one model better made than the other?

my yj is an 87, first year of the yj. the engine, trans, roll bar, seats, are basically the same or exactly the same as an 86 cj. the front fenders, grill, plastic flares, leaf springs, and rear axle are for sure different. also the hood.

Back