Oil pressure sending unit and switch question

JJs 88 Wrangler

Hello All,
I have an 88 Wrangler with a 4.2. My oil pressure needle staring pinning past 80 psi when the engine is running so I bought a new sending unit. Now the needle stays at 80 psi while running. Do you think by changing the oil pressure switch will fix my issue? The engine is a rebuild and only has 6000 miles on it. The gauge used to work perfectly up until a few months ago.

Thank You in advance for any suggestions.

JJ

Normally with a Jeep gauge, if the needle is pegged out, the gauge, or gauge cluster has lost It's ground. Try to run a new ground from your gauge cluster to the metal that makes up the frame of the dash and see if that helps.

Thank You Jim. If the cluster ground is bad, wouldn’t that affect all the gauges? Also, what does the oil pressure switch do? I have both a sending unit and a switch.

Thanks,

JJ

Normally with a Jeep gauge, if the needle is pegged out, the gauge, or gauge cluster has lost It's ground. Try to run a new ground from your gauge cluster to the metal that makes up the frame of the dash and see if that helps.

Thank You Jim. If the cluster ground is bad, wouldn’t that affect all the gauges? Also, what does the oil pressure switch do? I have both a sending unit and a switch.

Thanks,

JJ

Hey JJ, check the gauge In question. On my 89 the gauge cluster on the back of the instrument panel is comprised of a flimsy flexible sheet that all the gauges attach to, sometimes the gauges start to corrode over time and loose their connection, you may even have to gently scrape the area where the gauge attaches to the panel to regain a good connection. If that doesn't work it may be in your best interest to modify you gauge cluster and replace your electronic gauge with a mechanical one.

i took the gauge assembly apart on my 87 and had to clean all those little copper strips because they were all corroded and green.

and, my jeep had a cherokee sender in when i bought as the block was taken from a cherokee so i had to buy the proper sender

Back