so i tore my tail pipe hanger again

Greencuke

so now its compleatly torn off. the hanger on the bottom of the jeep is gone, and now the L shaped bar thing on the tip of the pipe is gone too. there is a small tab of metal where the hanger was attached to that is still on the bottom of the jeep, i think i can bend it into a hook shape or something. My plan is to take a muffler clamp and hook it around the bent piece of metal on the bottom of the jeep. Does anyone have any better ideas that doesn't involve welding?
Reggie[addsig]

You could do a quick weld and replace the hanger with a small rod bent in an L shape then weld to the tail pipe. That is what I did and it woked out real good. Tug[addsig]

at least you still have your tailpipe..Correct??...i went the cheap way and used wire instead of weilding the hanger on and after a few month the tail pipe broke right off....yes i know it was a combination of both rust, age and the lack of a proper hanger...DONT GO CHEAP....WEILD.... ;-) youll be happier that you did in the long run[addsig]

Just wondering what are you catching the tail pipe on to cause so much trouble. Your not running one of the wood stove looking rice burners mufflers on there are you? LOL tug :-D

edited by: Tug-n-pull, Mar 15, 2003 - 01:29 AM[addsig]

The same thing happened to mine. I went to replace my my exhaust from the cat back and noticed that the previous owner used the hanger trick to hold up the tail pipe. I was able to bend some metal and weld it to the side where the hanger hung. The worst part was contorting to the small space I had to fit the bent metal into. The whole thing took about 15 minuites, and now my ride is a less loud one as the exhaust doesn't rattle against the leaf springs and bumper.[addsig]

JeepGirl,

one of those universal muffler mounts for a couple of bucks may do the trick - has the bracket, clamps and rubber isolator.

any idea why this happens? your engine probably has too much power and is blowing your tail pipe clear off your rig. :-O

michael
[addsig]

JeepGirl,

one of those universal muffler mounts for a couple of bucks may do the trick - has the bracket, clamps and rubber isolator.

any idea why this happens? your engine probably has too much power and is blowing your tail pipe clear off your rig. :-O

michael
[addsig]

The rig with the bent medal and welding seemed to do the trick.. I guess it came down to me being too lazy and buying one. Besides I needed an excuse to try out my friend's new welding hat, hehe.[addsig]

I put new exhaust on my car last year and needed the pipe hangers replaced. It was $40 at a Monroe Muffler to get 2 hangers welded to the frame and the exhaust pipe. Not too bad.[addsig]

Back