Fuel Odor

Skip

Hello all:

I have had my YJ for about six months now and I have been wrestling with a fuel smell since day one.

It is a 90’ with a 4.2, 5 speed, Weber 32/36, nuttered and running at 10 btdc.

When I park it in our garage (a flat level floor) the entire garage stinks of fuel in a very short period of time. I look underneath it every time I go out and I can’t see any seepage or any places on the garage floor where it has dripped down. This isn’t just a slight smell it is overwhelming, knock you back smell.

I have:
1. Removed the tank, cleaned and painted it (it is a new tank that was replaced by the previous owner).
2. Checked the sending unit gasket; it is good.
3. I have replaced all of the flexible fuel lines in the back and all of the vent lines that feed the roll over valve. I have replaced the fuel fill neck and also the vent line there. I have all new fuel and vac lines under the hood.
4. I have replaced the gas cap.
5. I have removed the Weber air cleaner and went back to a factory one.

The smell is still there. I have no clue where it is coming from. To me it seems to be coming from the engine compartment.

I do know when I remove the air cleaner and adapter I can look down the venture and see the internal jets and also the fuel in the float bowl. Is this enough to give me the smell?

Can it be the vapor canister? Is there a way to eliminate the canister and see if that is it? I am not sure what to do with the fuel tank vent line that goes to it?

The odd thing is that when it is in my shop it does not smell. The shop is a little more drafty than the garage but there is no odor at all in there. The difference is that the shop floor has a 6” slope over 24’ compared to the garage that is level. Does this give anyone any ideas as to a problem?

I was thinking of running new metal lines from the rear to the front and replacing the fuel pump but I don’t want to just replace parts if they aren’t bad.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

My vapor cannister is not connected nd my jeep runs fine with no odor

My vapor cannister is not connected nd my jeep runs fine with no odor

How did you do the plumbing for the lines that go to the canister? The one that I am really not sure of is the vent to the tank. Do I just plug it?

Thanks,

my tank vent is right next to my axle vent, if i remember right. i'll have to look though.

Back