Total Rebuild

Call corpus Christi pick n pull and have them ship to you. They have a 5 and a 7 in their junkyard

mhm... i dont really understand why you would go thrue all that trouble for a 2.5L install

I have no clue why and I know when not to ask.
I bought the jeep 5 years ago from a man deployed in the Navy (And I thank him and all others for serving). His dad was great but had little info.
I got it for $800 and put $200 into it over those years so I will never complain!
This 'toy' as my wife calls it never failed us even on the coldest days and it never got stuck!

It came with 2 roofs and still got high teens for mpg around town with enough power to pull my teen sons Ram 1500 out of a lot trouble.
Biggest problem I had was the frame rot around the trans mount plate (and elsewhere) and I almost dropped the trans.

For all these reasons I am hard pressed to change the engine. Although an engine swap to a chevy etc has advantages but for a daily, never say die driver, why swap?
Even if I swapped I still need to rebuild the engine (no cost savings) and deal with new (read unknown reliability) running gear.
So as great as it would be to have a Wrangler that could rip my sons truck in half I still see more headaches than I need when I am trying to get to work.
So help me out, as I see it, it comes down to this:
Swap:
Advantages
More power
reliability?

Dis advantages
Cost
more work to swap
fewer MPGs
swap 'headaches'
&%it happens problems (getting it to play well together)
unknown engine to me (I have little experience with older chevies)
also the engine itself is an unknown

Advantages
cost, I own it and parts are cheap
it is a known
it fits and everything works together

Dis advantages
power

Bottom line, the Tim the tool man inside is screaming "MORE POWERRRRRRR" but the old yankee is saying "if it ain't broke....." so help me out with facts so I can shut them up and move on.

Thanks

NHYJynot said:
Bottom line, the Tim the tool man inside is screaming "MORE POWERRRRRRR" but the old yankee is saying "if it ain't broke....." so help me out with facts so I can shut them up and move on.

Thanks

lol nicely put, i dont know enough about either engine to give you any facts, but i see now why you are thinking of doing a 2.5L

i am of the school that if the engine is fine and its working, don't mess with it. and the add on school: if hte jeep is set up for this engine, and it worked fine in the jeep, don't change it.

thats why my jeep is still a 6 cylinder. i would love a 302 and if i have the area/money/time to swap to another engine when this one dies in 15 or 20 years, i might think hard on it but normally, i don't swap motors. even 4 cylinders

lol nicely put, i dont know enough about either engine to give you any facts, but i see now why you are thinking of doing a 2.5L

Ya,
If I were building it to go on road only so I could get to the mud then I would not even consider keeping the 2.5L.
Hmm, now I will have a rusty frame to work with...
But the reality is I need my 'toy' every day so every option is open.

Thanks

i am of the school that if the engine is fine and its working, don't mess with it. and the add on school: if hte jeep is set up for this engine, and it worked fine in the jeep, don't change it.

thats why my jeep is still a 6 cylinder. i would love a 302 and if i have the area/money/time to swap to another engine when this one dies in 15 or 20 years, i might think hard on it but normally, i don't swap motors. even 4 cylinders

That is where I am today. As long as I need to pull the engine and trans from one frame to the other might as well rebuild and add on just to avoid some pain, there will be enough of that on this project I am sure :cry:

Back