Total Rebuild

NHYJynot

OK, my '94 YJ has been sitting for a year and it is time to start. It was a 4.0L with an AX15 but before I got it, it was swapped out for a 2.5L
End result will be a daily driver with a 2" lift and I'll keep the 31s on it. Weekend mudding but not rock crushing.
I am changing the frame with an 88 that I am stripping, sand blasting and coating with POR-15.
Question is on the next step. It has a '95 2.5 L that is tired. What changes or mods can I make when I rebuild it to increase gas milage and performance.
If money were no object one mechanic suggested an aluminum crank and pistons.
What would you suggest?
Looking for some extream and some that talk to the yankee in me :lol: (even this yankee can be quieted with duck tape :evil:)

Thanks
Mike

I'm not to good on YJs but I'll try.
Find a 4.0 head and install it on the 2.5 . I think you need the close off some water ports.
A header, free flowing system.
Take a TB from a 4.0 and install it on the 2.5
Everyone forgets about adding a cam.
Gears. Keep it down to 3:55
Bore it out. Not sure to what, depends on you

Send the head out some bigger valves. Mild porting. Get some custom pistons made up bump up the compression. Get a custom ground cam ground on a 112 lsa so it's nitrous happy. Offset grind the crank get a little more displacement. Or swap in a 2.4 srt turbo motor. And yee haw

I'm not to good on YJs but I'll try.
Find a 4.0 head and install it on the 2.5 . I think you need the close off some water ports.
No problem, I took a 4.0 L head and a bandsaw. I took out the middle 1.5 L and welded the two halves together but now the dang head bolts wont fit! Any ideas? :p :shades: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ya I know. After reading it Only then I saw what I did:cry:

Oh dang, is this not going to work??? and I just finished retapping the head and was looking for a gasket :lol::lol::lol::lol:

What he said ;)

-James

Suggestions?
What would a good choice for good MPG and performance?
Boat anchors are cheap but I do own this one :shades: and unless I can get bang for my buck along with it being reliable as a brick spithouse why change?
I am open for any ideas but change for change sake is not my way, and remember this is a daily driver, not a rock crawler.

Thanks

Get a 4.0. There are a lot of guys in nh that have gone to v8's you should be able to find one with the harness and what not fairly easy. Check NEOW.org, most of the guys on there are from nh.

-James

I would look for a 95-97 s10 blazer, jimmy, or pickup with a votec 4.3 you can find a pretty rusty or damaged version, complete and running around here for $500-1500.

the 4.3 is a great motor and there is plenty of info on the swap, parts are cheap and plentiful.

Get a 4.0. There are a lot of guys in nh that have gone to v8's you should be able to find one with the harness and what not fairly easy. Check NEOW.org, most of the guys on there are from nh.

-James

What do we have going on here, a New England circle jerk?

I do a lot of buying and selling on NEOW. also check out New England club sites. I doubt Terry wants us advertising other message boards on his message board.

SO pm me if you interested on some good clubs. what ever club you join, make sure they are members in the NEA4WD. This is a very proactive land use association that has access to private land in mainly NH and MA. Again, pm me if interested.

who the heck thought it would be good to go from a 4.0 to a 2.5?

you should slap the previous owner. i have nothing against either engine but pulling the 4.0 and putting the 2.5 in its place was a major down grade

Last edited:

superj said:
who the hell thought it would be good to go from a 4.0 to a 2.5?

you should slap the previous owner. i have nothing against either engine but pulling the 4.0 and putting the 2.5 in its place was a major down grade

mhm... i dont really understand why you would go thrue all that trouble for a 2.5L install

Have a 1983 cj7 with 2.5 GM 4 banger. Pulled it and took a 1991 Chevy 4.3. Tell you how I did it. Called Trans dapt.com and ordered motor mounts for $75. Then pulled my T176 transmission and ordered a new 152 tooth flywheel and clutch kit. Keep in mind, the bellhousing is the same on this 2.5 as the 700r transmission I pulled from the 4.3 (same bolt pattern). Went carburated on this one. Took the throttle body off and replaced it with a 25.00 cast iron intake from a 1987 chevy astro van with intake gasket. Took the drivers side exhaust manifold from the same van on drivers side to make clearance for the clutch slave cylinder and installed duals with $27.00 Auto Zone turbo mufflers(sounds just right for a daily driver). Took the same starter from the original 2.5 and added 2 shims and bolted right up. Removed the original distributor and replaced with electronic distributor off ebay (new $80). Installed 1/2 inch aluminum spacer on intake and slapped an edelbrock 1400 series carb on top. Ordered a 4 core all aluminum(GM conversion) radiator from Jegs for $185. Bought an old school alternator from O'Reileys for about $35 along with mechanical oil pressure, temp. and volts gauges(they don't lye). You're probably thinking "I'll never get this wiring harness to work". It's fairly simple. Deadeye(that my jeeps name) is now a built and not bought passion of mine.

Last edited:
Looking for a leaf spring

Anyone out there with a used oem front leaf spring. I need to replace a bent one on my 83 cj7. Any help finding one would really help me get back on the trail. Thanks in advance

Back