Head Gasket Help

1987BlackJeep

(1) Warning signs that gasket is blown? (milky oil perhaps)

(2) Any "how-to" articles to change the gasket? And, is
it difficult?

I am going to be changing the valve cover gasket this weekend,
and i think that the head may be blown too- so, i was thinking it would be
best to do both at the same time

thanks
jwg[addsig]

When the head gasket went on my 89 YJ I noticed a sluggish engine, decreased fuel economy and a rough idle. At the time that happened I didnt have the resources to change it myself so I had a garage do it for $500. I havent done a YJ since but I have done other engines and its not so bad. All the cost is in labor.[addsig]

heh... i did my valve cover gasket recently... and i hope you have a variety of sockets and extensions (deep, shallow sockets... different length extensions...) because my valve covers' bolts were a BITCH to get to![addsig]

it is not really a tough job... just make sure you label everything as it comes off... I replaced the head gasket in a ford minivan a few months back... and that is quite possibly THE WORST setup to work on. Get a chiltons or haynes to get the torque specs on everything and make sure it all goes back in order. I would suggest the fel-pro complete gasket set. it comes with the head gasket, valve cover gasket, valve seals, intake gasket, exhause gasket, and all other neat little sh!t you would need. If I get the money... I am doing all of that this spring... like I said... the job is not hard... it just might take a while[addsig]

If your headgasket is blown you will probably get either milky oil or oily coolant. In addition, you'll tend to loose coolant and the engine will eventually overheat. Personally, I've never seen a blown headgasket without overheating -- however, I've never seen a lesbian wedding either even thought they exist!

To see if the headgasket is blown you need to get a gauge and do a compression test on each cylinder. If one cylinder has low pressure the headgasket could be blown there. If 2 have low pressure it is probably blown between them.

Have you been overheating? Acutally, has your engine been overheating? Although overheating engine would cause YOU to overheat, it probably isn't a necessary condition. :)

O. [addsig]

if the gasket separates between cyls without hitting water or oil passages, may not overheat.

lesbian wedding . . . overheating?

hmmm
[addsig]

Well, no overheating- engine is running around the therm setting
-- but, the dipstick reveals a milky substance (sometimes), mostly
when low on oil--- the leaking of which i hope to cure with the vc gasket

also, i thought i saw some coolant appearing on the engine- which may
be a sign of blown hg?

so, i dont know i am not sure the GH is blown-
but it is not running too good
as a general matter-

going to do a tune up this weekend also- [addsig]

ooh, and the coolant is clear of oil, nice and clear green actually[addsig]

I dunno what to tell you about the appearance of coolant on the engine block. If it is seeping out between the head and the block then perhaps you have a blown gasket.

Generally, a head gasket blows because of overheating but I suppose that one could die over time. Replacing the head gasket is not a real big deal, but once you have the head off you might as well clean up all the valves and make sure none are burnt.. it can become a big deal fast. :)

Once you've replace the valve cover gasket and replaced the mess of oil you must have all over the head you can search for leaky coolant better. Good luck!

Onager.[addsig]

I changed mine about 2 months ago. It took me a couple of days on and off in the garage with no major difficulties. I don't know which engine you have but with the 4.0 it is not a tough job. I wrote about it back in early february on here. Just remember to torque the exhaust and intake back in sequence starting with the center bolts working your way back out alternating or the result will be like mine with a small crack in the exhaust manifold :-( ...........Bullet[addsig]

are you loosing coolant/level/ it sounds like you have a bad gasket and or head. when you get it all apart i suggest you take the time to get the head checked for any problems and if it has quite a bit of milelage on it,freshenig it up wouldnt be a bad idea either. if you have never done engine work like this a manual would be a good idea. when you assemble it back together you will want to use the torque specs and proper order to tighten down the head.[addsig]

While you have the head off you might wanna take it to a machine shop and get it magnafluxed and valve springs checked. Might also get a die grinder and port and polish to squeeze a little more power out.[addsig]

Back