nearest mechanic

fubar62172

Hey guys
I have a 98 jeep wrangler and I'm in need of an inspection sticker :cry:. I have a check engine light on ( I can't remember the code right now but it was emissions related ).I was told to change the gas cap but that didn't work and somebody told me to check the return line for my fuel pump. Is that a normal problem? I'm not seeing any gas puddles? Thanks for any info

:D I'm located in southeastern Massachusettes

fubar62172 said:
Hey guys
I have a 98 jeep wrangler and I'm in need of an inspection sticker :cry:. I have a check engine light on ( I can't remember the code right now but it was emissions related ).I was told to change the gas cap but that didn't work and somebody told me to check the return line for my fuel pump. Is that a normal problem? I'm not seeing any gas puddles? Thanks for any info

:D I'm located in southeastern Massachusettes

Pull the code and let us know what it is so we can better help you. I know here in az if the check engine light is on then the vehicle won't pass inspection

Previous Poster is correct. The OBD engine code would be very helpful to narrow down this problem. If Jeep Owner does not have a Scan Tool (Like Car MD) -- You may take it to Auto Zone to Dump Code(s). Also, you may be able to Cycle Key ON-OFF - three times to retrieve codes. One more thing -- a Check Engine Lite is almost always an automatic failure for passing emissions test. ( It is here in Calif) -- JB

I stopped by Autozone and here's what I got
1. P1494
Definition-leak detection pump pressure switch condition

2. P1388
Definition-CNG relay control circuit condition

3. P0740
Definition-Torque converter clutch no RPM drop at lock-up condition

4. P0463
Definition-Fuel level sending unit condition

Thanks alot for any help

I will try and research possible fixes for those codes when I get off work. Is the jeep running poorly?

Back