Good buy?

MattMayTJ

And how much work would it be to get it to fit my 97 wrangler?

Attachments

• image-2493374930.png
    image-2493374930.png
    130.2 KB · Views: 236

And how much work would it be to get it to fit my 97 wrangler?

The first question is, is this Dana 44 an Aluminum housing. Many of the grand Cherokee Dana 44's were a aluminum housing with steel tubes if it is, pass on this axle. They are weaker than a Dana 35.
If its an all steel set-up then it shouldn't be anything too difficult that a back yard mechanic shouldn't be able to do.

Since you will be going to a rear disc set-up, you might purchase a manual proportioning valve, since your front disc/rear drum proportioning valve will still set the brake bias to the front. I have seen several attempts at putting a newer LJ proportioning valve with some fabrication necessary. The Grands and regular Cherokee's with 4 wheel disc will not work because of the weight difference.

It also has a different bolt pattern and the GC 44 uses different lockers than a standard 44 so be aware the aftermarket is very slim for this axle. It's also c-clipped but being a WJ it shouldn't have the aluminum center section. If you can get it for about half that and swap your front hubs and brakes and buy new wheels you'd be good. Lot of work for not a very desirable axle. If it was a XJ or TJ 44 I'd say go for it but not one from a grand.

I had a 99 grand cherikee and the wheels were the same as my YJ. I had them on it for a while. In my opinion, If you don't plan to upgrade it any more than it is, Then go for it. Even tho it's not a highly desirable axle, It's a lot better than what you've got. If you can talk him down on price because it's not the most desirable axle, Then gooder for you.

I had a 99 grand cherikee and the wheels were the same as my YJ. I had them on it for a while. In my opinion, If you don't plan to upgrade it any more than it is, Then go for it. Even tho it's not a highly desirable axle, It's a lot better than what you've got. If you can talk him down on price because it's not the most desirable axle, Then gooder for you.

No you didn't or no they weren't.

99 and on grands are all 5 on 5 bolt pattern, same as the current JK. All YJ’s, TJ’s, XJ’s and 93-98 grands (ZJ’s) are 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern.

The aluminum D44 or D44a rear from the grands is not worth it's weight in scrap metal. The axle is prone to gear deflection due to the different metals and different rates of heat transfer, add a locker and it gets worse. The ZJ D44a and I think 99-2000 WJ D44a were all C-clip axles. The factory "locker" is not a locker, it is a LSD that is about a sstrong as a toothpick.

in closing, not worth $200

No you didn't or no they weren't.

99 and on grands are all 5 on 5 bolt pattern, same as the current JK. All YJ’s, TJ’s, XJ’s and 93-98 grands (ZJ’s) are 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern.

The aluminum D44 or D44a rear from the grands is not worth it's weight in scrap metal. The axle is prone to gear deflection due to the different metals and different rates of heat transfer, add a locker and it gets worse. The ZJ D44a and I think 99-2000 WJ D44a were all C-clip axles. The factory "locker" is not a locker, it is a LSD that is about a sstrong as a toothpick.

in closing, not worth $200

Yup. Your right. My memory is playing tricks with me. The GC that i had was a 97 not a 99. It was another vehicle that i had that was a 99. In that case, The 99 axle wouldn't be a good choice.

Back