94 ax 15 wont go in 5th gear

jeepmanchaliff

hello jeep nuts i have been having problems with my transmission in my 94 wrangler it is a ax15 and i have had it rebuilt 3 times i keep having trouble out of 5th gear it wont go in to 5th gear 1st thru 4th works fine and the last time it quit working i hadnt been wheeling the jeep. as a back story this old wrangler has been wheeled alot and been in the mud rocks sand creeks just to name a few. i have a 4.0 motor and love my old jeep but this transmission is really wearing me down and with a rebuild costing 4 to 5 hundred i want some input before i spend the money or just buy another transmission

5th is always the first to go in the ax15,if it over used. It is a small gear and can't take the abuse of driving bogged down.

I'd find a used one for 2 bills, since that one has been rebuilt several times and still having issues. Make sure you're using a synchromesh fluid and changing it often.

I have an AX 15 in my 97 that was rebuilt once, and again (in my case) 2nd is giving me fits; sometimes it grinds going in when upshifting from 1st but NEVER, if I downshift from 3rd.

What gear oil are you guys running? The wrong gear oil will be corrosive to the soft brass synchronizers in the AX5 and AX15 transmissions.

Run Redline MT90 if you want smoother shifting, it improves even cold-weather shifting.

Back