Headlights are wonky..plz help!

pbudzy

Just got my 82 CJ7 home managed to get it to kinda run, now looking at the lighting I find there is no dash lights or headlights, but all the other lights (ie marker tail and turn) all work fine....replaced the switch because it was all rusty and nasty....still same.....all fuses are good and all show continuity thru them......is there a relay im missing? could it have anything to do with the high beam switch (taking this out and cleaning it next)....plz help!:cry:

Just got my 82 CJ7 home managed to get it to kinda run, now looking at the lighting I find there is no dash lights or headlights, but all the other lights (ie marker tail and turn) all work fine....replaced the switch because it was all rusty and nasty....still same.....all fuses are good and all show continuity thru them......is there a relay im missing? could it have anything to do with the high beam switch (taking this out and cleaning it next)....plz help!:cry:

tried to put straight power to the headlight wire comming from the switch from an extra accessory wire i had hanging there.....spark....3a accessory fuse blew....ok went to store replaced fuse....now back to original other than my driver side marker is now without power at the pigtail and still no dash or headlights.....checked bulb on other side and it lights up fine.

also found another orange wire with a female blade end sitting by the driver side headlight harness...dunno what it plugs into....oye.

It's realy hard to tell whats wrong with wiring over the internet. In another post you mentioned that you pulled it out of the swamp. Was it under water? That will raise havock with all of your electrical. It's not going to be fun, but you've got to start tracing wires and find where the power is inturupted. Just being in a humid area is hard on electrical components on an old CJ. Start by traceing backwards from each component thats not working till you find power. That will be where your problem is. Your high beam switch could be the culprit with the headlights but i doupt that it's the reason why the dash lights don't work. Are you sure that the bulbs in the dash are ok? They are cheap bulbs and don't last long. Maybe the p.o. didn't replace them as they burnt out. Make sure that your test light is working and be patient.

Back