lower control arm

hitmanstj

While doing a suspension lift unbolted the lower control arm (from the frame) on the passenger side and now can not get it lined up back up to bolt it back. Any tips or tricks would greatly appreciated.
2001 tj 4 liter.

Front or back? Try jacking under the axle to move it around.

JeepMonkey said:
Front or back? Try jacking under the axle to move it around.

Its on the front side. I have a friend while has a lift and am thinking about limping it there if I can

Do not drive you jeep if the control arm is not bolted up. The best way to do it is
Bolt up the frame end first but do not tighten yet
Use a ratchet strap like superj said to get the axle to line up where needed.
It might take a little time but it will go in. Just take your time

I'm with ljrubitm, Don't try and drive your Jeep without the control arms bolted up. You'll end up buying a new driveshaft in the best case (probably a transmission and some more stuff assuming you don't wreck).

A $5 ratchet strap, or even better a come along will help. Just jack the jeep up a bit then use the ratchet strap looped around both axles to pull them closer together.

Definitely agree you shouldn't drive it. I limped mine back to camp about 1/8 mile with both uppers on the rear broke. Everyone I passed was quick to point out the severe axle wrap. I couldn't imagine doing it on the road. Those arms keep the axles under the Jeep.

I found that the ratchet strap method works great if you un-bolt the control arm from the axle, bolting in the frame side, then going after the axle to control arm bolts, you have a larger range of movement with the axle on a small hydraulic jack. Also if all bolts are loose, this allows you more freedom of movement. when ever we do a control arm exchange type of lift we bolt in the arms to the frame, then to the axle, then and only then do we do the track bar, leaving everything loose till its all connected.

In any circumstance you should never attempt to drive the jeep with missing control arms, your better off hiring a tow truck to tow it over, the chances of breaking a frame mount, control arm or causing an accident isn't worth the risk.

To all, I found out the hard way not to drive without a control arm. Seems all that is broken thought is the upper control and the mount on the axle is bent. Had to call a roll back to take her to the shop. Thanks for all your input though.

JeepMonkey said:
So what happened?

Didn't even get an 1/8 of a mile from the house, started getting real bad death wobble and then heard a loud grinding sound. That was the passenger side tire in the fender well. But the only thing it messed up was the top passenger side control arm and bent the mount a little. So after a couple hours and a new control arm she was back on the trail.

Back