What did you do to your Jeep today?

Took the hard top off, hooked up the trailer and went for a ride.

Attachments

• image-707339689.jpg
    image-707339689.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 24

I am sure enjoying my 79 CJ7 after rebuilding the motorcraft 2150 carburator, replacing stock distributor with a HEI distributor, which also rid the old ignition module and coil. Replaced the plugs and wires, oil, oil filter and air filter...took most of the weekend and today! It runs great!

Tightened up the Front trackbar bolt. I just can't seem to keep this guy tight fro more than 12 months (even with threadlocker)

Tightened up the Front trackbar bolt. I just can't seem to keep this guy tight fro more than 12 months (even with threadlocker)

Video Link: http://youtu.be/c8VSzi0ewng

That bushing is shot! That is not a loose bolt. MOOG makes a goor replacement bushing for the stock unit. I'd check the dimensions to see if it would work on your adjustable track bar. Also take the bushing to a hardware shop and fit the largest bolt you can in the bushing.

What brand is your track bar?

That bushing is shot! That is not a loose bolt. MOOG makes a goor replacement bushing for the stock unit. I'd check the dimensions to see if it would work on your adjustable track bar. Also take the bushing to a hardware shop and fit the largest bolt you can in the bushing.

What brand is your track bar?

The bushing is a 6 month old Moog K3176 with a 7/16 bolt in it. The trackbar is an older JKS 0-3.5" adjustable. I've had a hard time with it for some time (the sleeve for the trackbar was smaller than the axle mount hole), and ended up drilling out the stock JKS clevite bushing and putting the Moog bushing in there.

It's entirely possible that the bushing is shot. I'll get a replacement (they are $10) and give it a try.

------------------------
update:
You're entirely right. I went back and looked at the video from my original loose bolt, and you can see the bolt move, whereas with my new problem the bolt is fixed and the bushing seems to compress. Here's my original problem:

Last edited:
Made some door hanger brackets (total cost $2.50 for washers and lags)

I got some 1" angle iron (for free) and welded them into a box, cut everything up, my brother-in-law had some old wrist pins laying around so we welded them together, cut them in in half and welded a washer to the top for the hinge pins.
Welded everything together

and came up with this

Finally got around to trimming the factory flares down, took an 1.25" off them and finished the edges with door edge molding.

20140903_174642_zps49c914fd-1.jpg

20140903_174604_zps8684f436-1.jpg

Installed a new radiator. Even with the trip to Autozone for a new hose, it took less than an hour. Parts: Rad, $200. Hose, $10.00. Time, 45 min +-. So while my CJ was in the shop getting a rebuilt carburetor, the mechanics were "nice" enough to quote me a price for a new radiator. Someone please explain to me why they thought I would pay $900 for them to replace a $200 part that takes less than an hour to install? I'm glad that most things that need to be done to an old jeep can be done with basic tools in the comfort of my own garage.

Finally installed my rear axle in the CJ, seems to be working just fine.. I will try to post a pic for those who have never seen a dana41. I wouldn't go looking for this axle if you have more than a 4banger, its not very strong and has no aftermarket support, only available in 5.38 R&P

the bushing is a 6 month old moog k3176 with a 7/16 bolt in it. The trackbar is an older jks 0-3.5" adjustable. I've had a hard time with it for some time (the sleeve for the trackbar was smaller than the axle mount hole), and ended up drilling out the stock jks clevite bushing and putting the moog bushing in there.

It's entirely possible that the bushing is shot. I'll get a replacement (they are $10) and give it a try.

------------------------
update:
You're entirely right. I went back and looked at the video from my original loose bolt, and you can see the bolt move, whereas with my new problem the bolt is fixed and the bushing seems to compress. Here's my original problem:

video link: Http://youtu.be/bsjx7kikote

:)

But sorry to say bushings just don't go bad. Something else is out and causing premature ware on your bushing.

:-(

Get in there and check it all. Start with your
image-missing.png

PS something looks not so smooth on the wheel itself in your video. I'm not sure I see a bit of play in the end or ball joints???
The nut tab on the control arm moves. Why are you using stock bolts with currie arms?

Last edited:

First, I gave up on Jeeps with Computers and took My 1996 Grand Cherokee to the Bone-Yard.
Second, I drove 100 Miles to buy a very rusted 1979 CJ-7 from a Hunt Camp. Then I reached my happy place!

I never met a CJ with Electronic Issues...Mechanical and Electrical, yes; but never Electronic!!!

Back