Contour/Mystique fan upgrade incorporating slow start feature

Turbogus

Hi gang, from this and other forums I got it straight about wiring up these fans using relays and such. Now what parts would I need to incorporate a slow startup for these fans? Could I wire in a capacitor? IF using a capacitor once it reaches capacity does it just DUMP amperage onto the line? (and POP goes your wiring)? and where in this circuit would be the approapriate place to splice one in?(Thanks to Coiz for the images)

ContourCooling.gif
ContourCoolingmodifiedwithswitchanddiode.gif

Thanks and a lift of the lynch lid for your response.

Last edited:

:roll:
Only NOW do I get it! That resistor (R27) on the shroud provides the slow speed and I don't imagine that's going to jolt the fan motors as I feared! So just a pair of 30/40 or a 70 amp relay ahead of the whole shooting match should do the trick then! ...unless I'm wrong again!

7742146084_a595c0e51a_z.jpg

Last edited:
BTW this fan cleaned up really well using De-solv-it and some ArmorAll

Before;
7705699734_a07f1cf0c0_c-1.jpg

and after;

7742643220_968b8b48db_c-1.jpg

...not that I'm building some trailer queen
2thumbdown-1.gif

Called my local NAPA store today to get that HD 70 amp

7768933734_9373e6839d_z.jpg

(and other) relays today and they had no idea what I was talking about. I did my best to describe that photo that Rollbar posted but they want a part no. Is anyone familiar with that relay? It appears to be 4 lug with a 1/2 inch primary lug the other three standard 1/4 inch.
Checked with my buddy that used to ride a Sporty but it was a kicker, so no luck there.
Any info would be greatly apprecited.
Thanks and a lift of the lynch lid!
Gus

Well got that relay in as promised and it looks like the 70/80 amp pictured but the shop favors Carquest and this was made in China.
no-1.gif

I've (as many others have had) issues with made in China automotive parts before. On the other hand this is only a relay. I'm thinking either it will work or it won't, being electrical. I'm certain there's bound to be holes in this idiom but given this consumer desert I live and work in, it's the best there is available locally. I'm not going to start the well known rant about the internet shopping being the bane of local shops but in this area it's had it's full effect.
Going on the hunt for a pigtail for this relay today and if all fails I may go with a Hella unit I found yesterday on Amazon, much as I hate to do it.

Hella part nos.
70/80 amp relay: H41510141 ~or~ 003510517
Harness Connector: H84703001
......and they're coming from as nearby as ................Georgia!

Last edited:
Carquest just special ordered these today, they're guessing about 4 days out which is fine the temps around this region are high to be right hot over the next two days. I want to wait 'till thing cool down a bit.

Well I gave up on waiting on Amazon partners to get a Hella relay off to me so I revisited the boneyard today.
Can anyone tell me if these are the correct relays?

View attachment 14450
I think the little one is the high speed fan relay

View attachment 14451

...but what's up with this green one?

Back