2008 Wrangler Unlimited Won't Start

Cyndi Schaecher

My 2008 Unlimited started then died, started then died, started then died. Now it won't even turn over - doesn't make a sound when trying. The battery is fine, what do I try next?

Not sure on the JK models, but a bak crank position sensor will not throw a CEL but act like what you describe.

JpinPA has git it right, that is how a Crank position sensor goes out. Cranks over then dies a few times then will not turn over. Replace the crank sensor and with luck you didn't harm the cam,position sensor. But some times they go out in pairs. Make sure you use genuine mopar replacement parts, the after market ones don't last. I go through on a regular basis, about ever other year it seems. I always carry spares its a common problem .

Sent from my PG86100 using Jeepz

Another thing to look at is your instrument cluster. Is there a yellow Key symbol with a line across or a red light that has no symbol that stays on when you have the key on the run position after 5 seconds? Or at this point, it also be flashing?

Another thing to look at is your instrument cluster. Is there a yellow Key symbol with a line across or a red light that has no symbol that stays on when you have the key on the run position after 5 seconds? Or at this point, it also be flashing?

Thanks...I had it towed to a mechanic this morning. I will give him the advice. The key battery was the 1st thing I changed but I didn't see a key light with a red line thru it.

Crank sensor times spark, has nothing to do with no crank. If the engine won't spin over then it has to do with either, battery, starter, switch or anti-theft system. Starts and dies sounds more like an anti theft issue. If it were the crank sensor it would still crank but wouldn't start.

Back