YJ electrical issues

Atlwheeler32

Trying to get a newly purchased '94 YJ ready for inspection and need help sorting out a few electrical issues. All lights work/blink except -

1. Driver's side parking light does not work but does blink when blinker applied

2. Hazards don't work (bad hazard flasher?)

3. Blinkers on right side of vehicle (parking and marker) are timed very slowly or "stick" and fail to continue blinking (bad signal flasher?)

Any thoughts on these issues would be greatly appreciated.

the grounds good? that is the main issue on yj, bad grounds

Slow flasher is signs of a failed bulb elsewhere. SuperJ is correct start with the grounds. Then the sockets and bulbs. Wiring then switches. The four ways could be a dirty switch you may need to cycle it many times to break up the corrosion or debris. But look at everying above first.

Ok, after doing some work tonight here is where things stand:

1. All lights work except the driver's side parking light. This light works when using the blinker. I've swapped bulbs with the working side and got the same results so I know it's not that.

2. All hazard lights blink.

3. Blinkers work fine without the lights on. With the lights on, the front left blinkers work fine. The right blinkers start out fine and then slow and finally stop.

I am trying to work though this by process of elimination. Right now, I've eliminated bulbs.

I'm guessing the parking light is a contact issue at the socket.

I don't think the blinkers are a ground issue as they work fine with the hazards. Is it correct that there is a switch (round piece in the cab above the fuses) and a relay (in the steering column)? I'm guessing it's one of these that's causing the problem. Thoughts???

Did you check the headlight grounds? If the ground is bat it will take the lowest resistive path to ground. Tis may be the blinkers or parking lights.

Yes there is a little round silver switch, relay around the fuse box or column, but I agree with the others on croded sockets or bad grounds.. In the rear, follow your wires from the brake lights and you will see where they plug into the harness at, unplug it and look there for corosion as well. It really does sound like bad connection some where.

another tip, while you have the bulb out, coat it really good with no-ox grease.. make sure your contacts are good and clean.. they will never corode on you with no-ox..

Back