Transfer case issue.

awetzel86

So adjusted the linkage and its working a little better. I can usually go from 2wd to 4 high once the transfer case warms up but when passing thru part time if I don't do it lightning quick it sticks in part time and I can't go 4h or even 2 wheel until it decides to switch over. Tried the breaking after a quick reverse and no luck. Changed out the fluids in transfer case and differential still get that awful loud rubbing sound when getting close to 20kmh and beyond. Still at a loss as to what is going on. Also I noticed when its stuck in part time and I try and turn really tightly I get tire chirp from my rear wheels and I think even my front as though its not a open differential.Another thing that might help is we put it up on a lift and I ran her through all the transfer case selections and it all worked great but soon as we dropped her down and drove her it was back to the same old crap.

I'd really like some help before i just get sick of it and drop another $1k for a new np242

Awetzel86,
What type and year of Jeep do you have (you may want to fill out your profile here)?

When you say "part time" what do you mean? Are you talking about just the rear wheels turning, or all 4 wheels?

Also I noticed when its stuck in part time and I try and turn really tightly I get tire chirp from my rear wheels and I think even my front as though its not a open differential

Sounds to me like it's in 4wd, and the wheels are binding up a bit - exactly as it should be doing when driving in 4wd on pavement.

Could you describe what the problem is a bit more. I'm not sure that I understand what's going on.

When I get out Of work and onto a computer ill let ya know. Trying to explain on iPhone is just a pain if it changes words on me.

alright so its a 95 cherokee xj. i had originally posted in the cherokee area but only got one reply. well the np242 comes in the order of 2wd, 4 part time, 4 full time, nuetral, and 4 low. we had originally adjusted the transfer case linkage and had it up on jack stands running it through the gears and it switched between all selections without an issues. once we brought it down and took it for a test drive it was acting like crap.

when running in 2wd if i pull it from 2wd to 4 full time real quick it switches just fine and if i go from 4 full time to 2wd real quick it goes back into 2wd. now this can be sometimes hit or miss. it may work just fine 3 or 4 times and then it sticks into part time and i can not get it out. i usually haul ass with the selection handle so that i spend almost no time passing through part time but if i slow down a little bit it gets stuck in part time.

now as far as driving in 4wd it runs fine in 4x full time and i think it runs fine in 4 low but i haven't really messed with 4 low much at all. now when its in part time and i'm driving i get alot of loud noise like somethings rubbing something or theres no lubrication. if i come up to a interection and i make either a right turn or left turn the noise goes away until i start going straight again. i changed out all the differential fluids and i changed out the transfer case fluids, checked all linkages, checked the front drive shaft but i just can't seem to find anything. i have no noise at all in 4wd full time, 2wd, not sure about 4 low but i don't recall hearing anything. it just seems that with anything to do with part time adding load to the front driveline i get issues with the sounds and as far as the transfer case goes its issue is the part time selection. yes when its stuck in part time and i make turns with the wheel all the way left or right i get the binding feeling jolting the steering wheel and the tire chirps.

i drive a 2003 wrangler se in the states and i have no proplems with sharp turns and tire chirping being in 4wd high or low with the np231. its just getting to the point of ****ing me off lol and i want to get this thing lifted and get my tires thrown on but i just don't want to have to spend half my lift and tire funds on a new np242. its already starting to snow pretty good and i'd like to get it set up before the worse of it. so any and all help would be pretty awesome.

Sounds like it may be time for a rebuild or a replacement for the 242. You don't notice any problems in full-time 4wd as the 242 allows enough slip between the front and rear axles.

Make sure you have the same size tires front and rear and they're inflated equally.

Consider a 231 replacement as they're less problematic. I usually sell mine for around 150.

i was considering the 231 because mine was awesome on my wrangler. i got the same issue in 4 low as well i just checked on my way home just now. as it was also stuck in part time. soon as i park if went into 2wd. as i reached up to about 25kmh the sound was at its loudest. reminds me of hearing the sound of an f/a18 starting its engines when i was on the carrier. once past 25kmh it quiets down a little bit. i noticed the other day that i think about it i get about a half inch or close to it of play before my tires move when rotating the front drive shaft by hand. i don't recall my wranglers amount of play before my tires moved but i don't think close to a half inch would be to bad?

Thanks for taking the time to check out what i'm going through.

It will bolt up to the '95 transmission as long as they're both the same transmission. If a different trans you'll have to confirm the 231 input spline count and length. The rear output shaft is different between the '95 and '97 so you may have driveshaft fitment issues.

All the transfer cases I have looked at were 97 and above for the 231. I found new 242's that are for 95 but I'd rather do without the 242 because I don't want part time and that junk. I will have to research my trans number and go from there. Hopefully I can get a 231 that fits with minimum parts incompatibility issues.

Any 231 from a jeep wether its a yj xj xj from 91-95 will fit I do this alot I swap ppl 242 for 231 its easy bolts right in just need to adjust the linkage

Any 231 from a jeep wether its a yj xj xj from 91-95 will fit I do this alot I swap ppl 242 for 231 its easy bolts right in just need to adjust the linkage
I don't think that's correct, there are a lot of differences in the input shaft lengths depending on which transmission was used. Failure to get the right length input shaft and you won't hit the output seal of the transmission, then you have problems.

Last edited:
They only started to change the input shaft lengths on the tj the standard ones where longer the the autos

Ok so looking over your info what the hell was wrong about my info I put in I said 91-95 jeep xj or yj will fit the only time they change is a grand Cherokee (zj) or older then 91 !!!

And I noticed something eles wrong about the info it states that post 90 had a 23 input spline on the aw4 (Wrong) but then it also says that 91 was the first year for the 23 spline in the aw4 (right)

I would check your info just to let u know my info is from jeep service manuals

And I noticed something eles wrong about the info it states that post 90 had a 23 input spline on the aw4 (Wrong) but then it also says that 91 was the first year for the 23 spline in the aw4 (right)
'Post 90' and '91 was the first year' has the same meaning.

I'm not going to argue with you, I'm just trying to get the right info out there. You made the blanket statement that the input shaft lengths didn't change until the introduction of the TJ and that's simply not true. As for 'what the hell', I'd appreciate it if you can discuss our difference in opinion in a civil manner without taking things personal.

Sorry I am incorrect about the input shaft lengths about the tj but the first info I gave was not wrong

Back