Best TJ headlight

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
The high beam is out on one of my TJ's headlights so I need to replace it. I was wondering if there was anything better out there than the standard $15 blub. I'd like more light, but not so much that I'm going to blind oncoming traffic. I also don't want to pay more than $50 per bulb.

Anyone running upgraded headlights?

IM running hids and love them. As long as you aim them correctly you won't blind oncoming traffic. I run the 5000k bulb and pack cost Me about 100 bucks for both sides

Ours had Sylvania Silverstars in it when we bought it. They are pretty bright and I like them a lot.

As a side note I see that the local Advance Auto has these:

Sylvania SilverStar Halogen Sealed Beam
The bright, white SilverStar bulb offers up to 35% brighter light, up to 30% more down-road visibility and up to 35% more side-road visibility.

jeep-headlights.jpg

Buy Sylvania SilverStar Halogen Sealed Beam H6024 ST at Advance Auto Parts

IM running hids and love them. As long as you aim them correctly you won't blind oncoming traffic. I run the 5000k bulb and pack cost Me about 100 bucks for both sides

Are these legal? I don't know much about HIDs, but I've read that most of the retrofit kits aren't legal.

It all depends on the housing the hid is in. you should have a projected headlight housing. On my yj since I didn't have the cash to buy a correct housing I used small.washers on the top of the headlight to aim it down instead of strait ahead. The only time it blinds people is when a small car is front of me at a stop light and the light blasts threw there rear window.

have had good luck with the Silver Stars in some other vehicles I have but haven't had to replace the lights in the TJ yet, but when I do it will be them that I install.

I really haven't heard many loving silver star. I put silver and gold replacements in my wife's vehicle. They were bright but never lasted more than 6 months to a year. Not the sealed beams but silver star nun the less.

Whatever you choose run them off new relays directly off the battery with proper gage wiring. I believe YJ like TJs have full light circuit current going through the switch allowing a lot of voltage drop before the light.

My plans like others will be KC performance. With 55/65 watt bulbs. Others like e codes but are not DOT approved.

Last edited:

I put 2 sets of silverstar in my Jeep, neither 1 lasted more than 6 month. I replaced them with the KC H4 headlights conversion kit and I'm pretty happy with them...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Jeepz

I've been using Hella fluted glass headlights (H4) for the last 30 years and couldn't be happier. Only trouble these days is finding high wattage (190/100) H4 bulbs that don't burn out every 9 months.

I've had Silverstars in the TJ for 6 yrs with no problems and had them in the YJ for 4 yrs when that sold. Only time I've had to replace them on the TJ was when a ninja log jumped out from no-where on the trail and stuck me right in the headlight....Damn Ninja logs, don't trust em.

I replaced the headlights on my 2001 TJ about two years ago with the Silverstars and I am very happy with them. I have heard reports of premature burn-outs, but I have had no problems with them. Much better light than the originals.

I have the IPF H-4 headlights, I think these have the best light prism's, I've owned CieBie's, Hella's, and some of the sealed oem"s and the IPF's put the light out the best. Would not recommend 100 watt high beam w/o wiring upgrade things tend to melt.

I changed over 6 years ago with H-4 headlight, hella housing then put in Silver Star bulbs in. It took a little re-adjusting but since then I have had no problems same bulbs for 6 years now.

I switched to Silverstars 5 years ago on my TJ. I like them better than the originals and haven't had any problems.

problem being with those high wattage bulbs, they melt your lamp connector eventually, and most of them don't last because of the heat.. I tried about 4 different types, finally tossed them and got a black box.. if you pull back on your high beam lever, like when you flash someone, it turns on both high and low beams.. much better light because you have both lower light coverage, and your high beam coverage.. secondly, your using the same lamp connector naturally, but, your also putting the same 12vdc on them that you would if you just switched high or low.. running a relay to control your lights will always be the best.. you get the full 12volts to the lamps .. I like the black box effect up here where the deer are everywhere and the moose wonder out at night.. so basically, when you turn on your high beams, you get both, low and high at one time.. otherwise, if your on Low, that's what you get.. if you have fog lights, you have to specify that so the unit will carry the extra load, it will turn them on also..

Last edited:
Back