TJ Automatic Shifter Acting Strange

MystickPhoenix

Hey everyone,

I've got an '02 Wrangler Automatic 4.0L that's been shifting oddly for the past month or so. When I first start it up and put it into drive, everything's fine, but when I come to the first stop, either a stop sign or a traffic light, it goes into neutral and won't go back into 1st gear and the engine just revvs. I can usually get it back into first by manually downshifting the selector into 1st, then shifting back through 2nd and D once I get going.

In addition, when I'm on a long stretch of highway (usually when it's on a slight incline but not always), when I'm running 65-70mph, every 10 seconds or so it shifts from 3rd to 2nd, then back to 3rd immediately.

Anyone have any idea what's going on with it? Hoping it doesn't need a new transmission... (if so, how hard is it to do an auto-manual conversion?)

Thanks and let me know if you need any more info!!!
Bryan Lott

Sounds like it may be a plugged valve body. I'd do a fluid service and see if that makes a difference. If not, then take it in before it does damage or you get left stranded.

Also check the seal between the valve body and the filter. If that seal is broken or nicked, it may allow air to pass through the seal and introduce air in the hydraulic system causing the pressure to drop momentarily , in turn, the holding clutch will loose the ability to keep the intended gear held and drop to the lower gear.

So, as a first step, I checked the transmission fluid. It's a brownish red color and the dipstick came out frothy both times I checked it. Will be taking it in to get it looked at in the next day or so.
Thanks!!!

Back