Cowl Seal leak

Blanco Wrangler

I had a leak on both the passenger and drivers side of my dash after a hard rain. I checked the vent drain tube and it was clear, so I installed a new cowl seal and thought I had fixed the problem. It finally rained in Oklahoma last week and the leaks were still there. I pulled the windshield down, took off the cowl seal, and ran 2 beads of silicone down the windshield frame under the cowl seal. I re-installed the cowl seal and buttoned everything up. It rained again today and the leak is still there. When I remove the inside windshield brackets there is water behind them and it is wet inside the windshield frame. The water runs down the front of the speakers when I start driving. I can silicone inside where the water comes through, but that will cause rusting somewhere, I'm sure. I have siliconed the windshield hinge bolts and run a bead of silicone between the cowl seal and the dash also. Sorry for the long explanation but I wanted to avoid all the usual suggestions. This is something I have not found on any other thread. Any suggestions will be appreciated!!!!

No, thats not the seal. The seal is on the outside of the windshield frame where the wiper comes through the windshield. It looks like a washer and should be up against the frame. This is a problem I have ran into for years, and I mean years on cj,s. I could fix it sometimes and not others. You are correct that it apears to come in through the windshield frame, but how is a mystery. Good luck

Wiper Pivot Gasket

1968-1986 CJ

$1.99
oops, thats ones for a cj. for got you had yj but its the same thing.

Thanks for all the help. Turns out it was leaking through the screws holding the soft top front channel on top of the windshield frame. When it got enough water in it, it spilled over out of the wiper motor hole and ran under the dash. Easy fix.......

Back