Brake/Turn Signal issue

Bob Snow

I have a 1952 CJ3 that I bought in November 2012. (12 volt system) None of the rear lights were wired when I brought it home. After messing trying to get everything to work I determined that I needed a new headlight switch. Once installed it did not take long to figure out the running lights, brake lights and turns signals. I also replaced the brake light switch. Since then I installed a radio and had to install a new ingnition switch this week. I believe I replaced wire for wire and post to post from old switch to new switch. Now i have running lights, brake lights but no turn signals. When I try to activate a turn signal with the brake light on the brake light on that side goes off. I am a novice at electrical problems. Do I have a bad turn signal switch or is somthing wired wrong? or????

Do your turn signals work by themselves?(No brake lite or running lites on) What does your front turn signal do when you try them with the brake lites on? My first guess is you have a bad ground somewhere,but answers to these questions might help.

Front t/s do not light up or blink at all either way. I am not sure if the t/s switch is oem of aftermarket. Thanks

There is a turn signal ,relay, i guess is what you call it. It should be uder your dash around the steering column, its usually round in shape about the size of a quarter and silver in color. That may be bad, or a ground somewhere. Are your bulb sockets clean???? It is VERY commom for the sockets to get crudded up.

I will look again for a relay, etc. None shows on the wiring diagram for a 52 CJ3. Or would it be built into the t/s switch mounted external to the steering column?

I over looked it is a 52, It may not have one. On my 69 it is about half way between the steering wheel and the floor board. let me see if I can find a pic of it.
view large image

has your turn signal switch been replaced or is it an old one ? I believe on those old 52's that the flasher is build in with the turn signal switch to the best of of my knowledge which at my age is fading fast ,,,and make sure you have the right bulbs , have seen people use the wrong bulb and cause some problems

Are you all saying that the relay and the flasher unit are one in the same? If so I do have a flasher unitjust hanging loose under the dash board and it does show in the wiring diagram. I may not have the right bulbs. Maybe I caused my own problem. When I wired the T/S and brakes I had both the T/S bulb and the brake light bulb flashing at the same time. Could this have worked for a while and then caused a short? I guess I will undo that combination and try again. Thanks for your comments!

Are you all saying that the relay and the flasher unit are one in the same? If so I do have a flasher unitjust hanging loose under the dash board and it does show in the wiring diagram. I may not have the right bulbs. Maybe I caused my own problem. When I wired the T/S and brakes I had both the T/S bulb and the brake light bulb flashing at the same time. Could this have worked for a while and then caused a short? I guess I will undo that combination and try again. Thanks for your comments!
\

I think that the relay or flasher was built in but I am not positive as it has been years since I worked on one but there is a flasher somewhere else as I found a few links online showing the flasher and maybe it will help here are the links
http://www.cj3apage.com/wiring diagrams.htm

and here
http://www.film.queensu.ca/CJ3B/Tech/SignalWiring.html

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/turn_signal.htm

Last edited:
this is for a stat 800 series

Attachments

• SignalStat800Diagram.jpg
    SignalStat800Diagram.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 58,207

Thanks for the input. These diagrams should help with the issue.

Back