Possible Tire Problem (Goodyear MT/R 33" Tire)

phillika

I have the newer Goodyear MT/R 33X12.5 tires on my 1995 YJ and I don't know if it's just me or the tire, but these things seem to virtually repel the road with even a hint of water on the road. Sometimes I'll be coming to a normal stop with normal braking pressure and I'll start sliding!! Other times I'll start a normal acceleration once a traffic light turns green and the tires start spinning!! I admit that my pressure was too low for a while and that didn't help, but these tires still seem to perform very poorly if not dangerously on wet surfaces.

I've had two brands of oversized tires before these including Dick Cepeks and Yokohama and I don't recall those slipping this bad. Does anyone else have these tires and, if so, have you noticed this??? I'm thinking of replacing them early. :-?

edited by: phillika, Apr 12, 2003 - 09:09 AM[addsig]

man don't tell me that, I just bought a set of 5 33"...well i'll tell ya how much act if they act funny at all[addsig]

You may want to run them back to the dealer for their input.
I have had 33" MTR's for several years and on several different Jeeps without any hint of problems. I have run them on most every type of road, rock, sand, snow, etc.
(No mud yet) and I am impressed. It might be that set of tires, or other suspension problems. Possibly even too much air?

When you find out what's going on, post it so we can all be informed.

Thanks, Good luck. :cool: [addsig]

LGR: Please let me know what you think on a rainy day. It could just be me. Also my Goodyear's are the newer design that was just redesigned and introduced about two years ago.[addsig]

Here's my thought... what axle gear ratio are you running? If it's anything less than 4.10's, then you might have too much 'off-the-line' torque and that makes it easier to spin with larger than stock tires on stock ratios. Being on wet roads will increase this. Do you find that even on dry roads the tires 'bark' when stepping on the gas sharply? If so, then you might need to re-gear.

Otherwise, you got lemon tires. :-?

c[addsig]

I have had the older type MT/R before the tread change, I´m on my third set. I did notice they seemed to get harder with age (slip in the rain and slide easier in the snow), but it might also have something to do with heat (road, weather or high speed driving). Noticed my spare was a little softer than the tires on the road.
Just a thought, but at some tire places (mostly large truck) they will re-round your tires (shave a little rubber off) this may get you back to the softer rubber under the outside coating that has been glazed some by heat or age. The last time, I had a set of tires re-rounded and balanced it didnt reallý cost that much. Worth a shot, if there is still a l ot of rubber (tread) left.
Noticed also that the tread was cut at an angle, so the older the tires, the larger the contact patch (amount of rubber contacting the road).[addsig]

Back