Towing

WranglrWhat94

Hey everyone, i plan on towing my Yj down to florida from michigan on a tow dolly with the front tires off the ground. Is there anything i should do besides putting the transfer case in nuetral. LIke do i need to disconnect the rear drive shaft? Will this put the miles on the engine? Anything you know will help...thanks alot in advanced!<!-->

~Wolf[addsig]

I towed mine just the same way from Texas to Montana, all I did was put the trans and transfer case in neutral and I had no problems. No miles were added to the odo. [addsig]

The owner's manual states to not tow a 4wd Wrangler with the front end off the ground and the rear on the ground. I dollied mine and removed the rear driveshaft, leaving it in the transfer case and tied up to the tub. I've dollied before without doing it, but won't now. It's cheap insurance to remove the DS.

I flat-tow mine now with a tow-bar and it's okay per the owner's manual. Just put the transmission in gear and the transfer case in neutral.

You do not accumulate miles cuz the speedo sensor is electronic. You do accumulate miles on the older YJ's with mechanical speedo's.[addsig]

I think the problem is the T-case not getting proper lubrication..... IICR. I am not sure of this because I think it is splash lubricated. I don't see how it would matter if the wheels were being friction driven or engine driven. It may have somthing to do with the tcase being in neutral...you don't knock the t-case in neutral when coasting down hills do ya? Just a thought......absolutely no mechanical proof...(other than hearsay)

In the end if it was my jeep I would disconnect the driveshaft like so many above me have said.

FWIW,
Hoss[addsig]

hey bounty, what type of towbar do you use?any speacial modifications to the bar or the jeep. and i wonder does it have any obvious lateral motion . with a lift and larger tires just wonder how it pulls.i know how it drives at interstate speed and am sure it cant pull any better. all you can tell me would be a help.............odax :cool: [addsig]

Mine is a Draw-Tite brand, it's old and I bought it used for $40. Just took 4 holes in the YJ bumper to mount the brackets, and the tow bar mounts to the brackets with hitch pins.

It pulls good, just make sure you're Jeep has the proper tow-in and other alignment specs. I had tow-out once and the Jeep pulled our TrailBlazer all over the road :-O Pretty scary at speed on the Interstate.

I've also been told that the Jeep will be tough to tow if it has tires larger than the tow vehicle. The Jeep will then fight the tow vehicle and try to push it around. If it's a problem, run two sets of tires for the Jeep.[addsig]

Dana 300 transfer case. The issue with "flat towing is in fact proper lubrecation of the output shaft. While driving, the input shaft is driven by the motor (duh...) while towing, the input shaft is NOT moving, and and such, all the components that were "driven " from the front are now, NOT spinning. I don't know first hand about the NP series of transfer cases, (haven't had to bother don't have one) But, it's not hard to disconnect the shaft and it's safe insurance against "drying out the output bearing!"
Realistically though, I'd say for short trips, you'd be ok without disconnecting the shaft. Short trips!
[addsig]

twice i have posted a follow up , so if it shows up ,sorry. was wondering if the tire size came into play as much if the towing vehicle was much bigger and heavier than the jeep. would tow mine with a motorhome. went to the bikini this past week and saw a few being towed by campers. with both the old coupler style bar and these newfangled high dollar bars. maybe one of the few i saw had a lift, and it had a bicycle rack on the back that looked very woobly. so it was hard to tell about the jeep traveling.

could carry a extra set of wheels but that would add more weight and think weight would be a big issue . have already decided to unhook the drive shaft but am still not sure about the lift and the towability. any more info would be a big help..........thanks odax :-D [addsig]

Back