Installing a locker in my TJ's front axle - what spare parts should I carry?

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I'm putting an Aussie locker in my front Dana 30. What are the chances of my front axle breaking, and are there any common parts that I should start carrying offroad?

The locker will increase the chance of breaking a front ujoint, which generally takes out the shaft. I recommend carrying both front shafts.

Most rock crawlers out here in the west carry a spare short and long half shafts. I up graded mine several years ago to chromoly shafts and used to carry the spares all the time, I have since stop doing that and only load them up on the most serious runs. if your not doing hard core runs, just average trails that you have done before with out a locker, I wouldnt worry too much. I have had locker in for 10+ years and havnt broken a u-joint.

I have had an Aussie in the front of my TJ for a few years now and haven't had too much trouble. When I put a lunchbox locker in my old XJ years ago though I broke several sets. And yes, when the u-joint breaks it usually takes out everything in it's path, mostly the ears of the inner and outer shafts. One of the things that I quickly learned I was doing wrong was I usually broke when the joint was in a bind, mostly when the wheel was turned all of the way to one side and the tire was against a solid obstacle. In my XJ I adjusted my turn stops out so it would bind the u-joint so much, but since my TJ is my daily driver I am just more cautious. Most importantly though, if you do break a u-joint or axle shaft, make sure you don't try to drive it without the stub shaft in the hub. There was a guy and his father that died a few years ago after they broke a shaft at the Badlands in Attica IN, they pulled the broken shaft and headed home,with nothing holding it together the unit bearing gave out while they were going through a curve and the Jeep rolled.

Would a 2WD Cherokee stub shaft be a good trail spare (instead of carrying both front shafts)? Would this be a good way to go a 3WD jeep off the trail and home again?

I read online that this could be used, but I can't seem to find any info or pictures.

Vlad - I think I just stumbled on the story you referred to:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=927680

Last edited:
That's the story. I don't know that I have ever checked out the two wheel drive Cherokee stub shaft but I would imagine it would be fine, everything else on the 2wd XJ and MJ crosses over without a problem. I just carry one of my old stub shafts with the broken ears.

Can you guys verify that I'm getting this right:

There are two shafts on each side of the differential, a long shaft (1 in the picture - also called inner shafts), and a short shaft (2 in the picture - also call a stub shaft or outer shaft). The short and long shafts are separated by a set of axle ujoints.

If the inner shaft breaks, it's safe to pull the ujoint out, and run with just the outer shaft in place (2 in the picture). The short shaft holds the bearings together.

jeep-front-axle.jpg

Thanks again for the input guys.

One other thing,
Does anyone know the shafts and hubs from a 93 XJ will swap into my 2005 TJ? Thats the only Jeep in the local junk yard currently.

Check RockAuto or another supplier for parts numbers on the hubs, they changed over the years and '93 may not work on your Jeep.

You've got the shafts figured out correctly. You can run with just a stub shaft holding the bearing together. Don't ever run without a stub shaft, a Jeeper was killed after leaving the Badlands Offroad Park in Indiana when the bearing separated due to no stub shaft.

Back