Metal Scraping Noise Near Front End

Matthew Brooks

Hi Everyone! Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I just got back from a great trip to Moab and conquered Behind The Rocks and a few other amazing trails, it was a great trip! When I drove back to Denver, I noticed a sort of scraping/screeching noise near the front end. I stopped several times to check over U-Joints, Transmission and Transfer Case throughout the journey. This noise occurs when turning, but have only noticed it in 2High. I went to a field nearby my house and put it in 4Low and didn't notice any scraping, but did hear an unusual "pop" or "click" from the front end.

I jacked up the front of the CJ and spun the front wheels while disengaged and noticed some play in the passenger side right wheel. I tore down the wheel bearing and found a bad inner sear, which I replaced. The ring that goes around the rubber inner seal was a bit mangled and I noticed some metal shavings disbursed throughout the assembly. I could not find a new metal ring nearby that fits around the new seal, so I simply straightened it out as best I could and reassembled the hub.

During reassembly, the bearings didn't seem to need to be pressed into place and sort of just dropped in rather easily. Does this sound possible, or do you think that the bearings are not seated properly in there and causing this noise? There isn't any play in the wheel now and when turned freely while on jacks there is no noise...

Also, it should be noted that this was my first time with a wheel bearing and hub reassembly since I was a kid. The axle is the stock Dana 30 and the hub seems to be original, though the bearings are Timken (LM102949)

Thanks again for any help! I have spent A LOT of time on this site and know there are many of you out there with great knowledge! 8)

Attachments

• Moab2013_024.jpg
    Moab2013_024.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 33

If you are talking about the seal on the back side of the wheel hub.. If that seal was bad or damaged, I would say your inner wheel bearing is going out or is out and just not fell apart yet, Or the spindle nut on the front of your hub loosend some and allowed some play in there and ate that seal. If the spindle nut was tight I would replace the bearing and race, and Yes that would make the noise you discribe. The inner and outer bearing does just drop into the hub not pressed on.

Thanks, 69jeepcj for the reply. I'll break down the hub again and ensure that everything is seated well and tightened up. I haven't gone through the driver's side front hub yet, but did the right side and I think you're right in assuming that the spindle nut backed off and nearly vaporized the very inner seal. When I took it apart, there was goop everywhere that looked like an old seal. I hope that fixes the problem, if not, I'll keep you posted on my finds! Thanks again for the help!

Back