Drop down tail gate mod

superj

Anyone done theirs yet? I started but need to get a cj tailgate now.

07275E303E3142BABE48A9A3CC96E8CF36500000-1.jpg

i drilled out the bolts and measured everything so I will be ready when I find a tailgate.

I did mine. I like it a lot better than the swing open gate. It makes for a nice work bench.

that is one reason i am doing it. i need to carry some stuff thats about 12" longer then the tub too so laying the tailgate down gives me the extra length i need also.

did you use all cj factory parts of use your own hinges?

I like the CJ tailgates, but It's a bit of a bummer to have the swing-away tire carrier there. If you're running without a spare tire then it's a big slicker.

i run spare free so having the jeep script would look good

I don't have any pictures. My camera and computer don't seem to be getting along lately. I used the CJ hinges. I cut out two small plates and drilled and tapped the same pattern as the hinges to recieve the bolts. I cut two small slots under where the hinges go, in the rear crossmember to slide the plates up in there. You might have to drop the gas tank skid plate to do this. I don't remember. You will also have to drill holes for the cables that hold the tailgate.

that is what i found online, about the cutting and drilling. no problem. i read the cj hinges are not set up for a yj though so you have to shim stuff, or use a different hinge from a boat or something

Not sure where you found that, But i didn't have to shim mine. You might want to shim out so the drop down cables don't hit the door opening. I didn't bother to on mine.

all the sites with a write up say it has to be shimmed.

i don;t think i would bother either, once i do this, mine is going into permanent two seater mode and that will be a true tailgate for sitting on and working off.

Ok, located an 86 cj7 tailgate locally. Waiting to hear when I can pick up

i looked at all the kits but for the price, i could do two cj tailgates.

so far, i have the tailgate primed, the steel plate that reinforces the bottom of the back of the jeep primed, and am waiting on hinges and latches to show up. i found cables for 12 bucks so i have to order those also but everything should be good to go here really quickly.

then all thats left is the motor swap. that kind of bums me out because i checked my freon and the ac was low so i added freon and the cool air is blowing again.

i started mounting the tail gate today, after doing my tj filler mod.

here is hte tailgate sitting in place but i actually have hinges on it now and the extra piece of metal in place being held with shims while i drill holes.

i am going to have to drop the gas tank to finish this because i cannot at all get my fingers in the little holes on the bottom of the tub because the cross member is in the way. there is about 1/2 an inch of space and my fingers are to fat. maybe tomorrow i will finish it, we will see.

got the tailgate mounted yesterday afternoon. unfortunately, i cannot get the pics off photobucket because work blocks that site so i will have to post later.

it looks ok but i need to do some bending on the hinges to get them to allow the tailgate to mount flush because right now, the bottom sticks out about 1/2 - 3/4s of an inch when closed

Ok, made a cable to hold one side of the tailgate. It will work for tomorrow. I have a ride and need to transport my bike.

D488E1FF49FE40B5B8E90B8DACCB75B135450000-1.jpg

BA1EBC0BC4884CE2B3C197AD67CEA13630540000-1.jpg

B73B796B9BD54A98A4AC47803EA2C7A135450000-1.jpg

It will work until cables get here. Since my bike is a long wheel base, it sticks out farther then I expected but, oh well.

You have your hinges upside down. I made the same mistake the first time i mounted a set. Turn them over and see if that doesn't make a difference.

Back