258 Oil Pan Gasket- One Piece?

PoliceMonkey161

So, I started to reassemble my 258 and the kit I bought has the OEM 4 piece gasket set. I have read a few articles about the 1 piece pan gaskets and can't decide if I should just go and pick one up?

Has any used the 1 piece gasket? Pro's and Con's for either?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure you can use the Fel Pro cobond adhesive to hold it in place . I like,that for the four piece set , but as long as you can set the one-piece down , their fine. Engine out on a stand , no problem , under a car , I like permatex high tack to hold rail gaskets up and the cobond to hold the front and rear oil pan seals to timing case and rear cap. Silicone the corners , ( little dab 'ell do ya) good to go . Overdue to put a pan back up , but feels like yesterday ! Don't want to jinx my rear main ! Doh !

I have used the 1 piece gasket on the 258 before and I liked to better than the others. I thought it was easier to install. Once installed, I couldnt tell a diff between the two, No LEAKS, but perferred the one piece. You probably have already done this, but I unbolted one of the motor mounts and jacked the motor up on one side to make more room to work the pan around.

I have used the 1 piece gasket on the 258 before and I liked to better than the others. I thought it was easier to install. Once installed, I couldnt tell a diff between the two, No LEAKS, but perferred the one piece. You probably have already done this, but I unbolted one of the motor mounts and jacked the motor up on one side to make more room to work the pan around.

Cool thanks for the input. The block is currently in a stand for reassembley, so clearance is not really a problem. I have done the unbolting the mount thing in the past...........

Back