Speed-o problems

prariepunk

A while back my t-case went on me big time (& took the sending unit with it) & I replaced it... The plug colors don't match but I thought I could rig it... Original colors are white/orange, blue/orange & black. The new (used) plug wires are yellow/orange, purple/white & blue... I can't get my speedo to work... Bad sending unit?

I hooked up the wires like I thought I should W/O-Y/O, Blu/O-P/W & Blu/Bla out still won't register

I got the 231 from Davey's Jeep here in OH & he said it was out of an '05 TJ (same as mine) so I was dumfounded to see that they were different. The jeep runs fine & shifts fine... Just no speedometer

It may seem to run okay but input from the vss is important to run at its best.

Matt, also verify that your speedometer gauge is working by holding the odometer button while turning the key to the run position so that it will do a self check.. If you need a wiring diagram for the sensor let me know..

Is it the wiring for the vehicle speed sensor connector that you're looking for? I didn't see anything that matches the colors you described (and I can't read wiring diagrams to save me life :( )

This is from my 1999 book:
wrangler-1999-speed-sensor-wiring.PNG

2000-2003 book:

wrangler-2000-2003-speed-sensor-wiring.PNG

and 2005

wrangler-2005-speed-sensor-wiring.PNG

Well I ordered a speed sending unit from AutoZone & tore into taking the old one out... just to find out that it wasn't the same part :-\

The into that is in the t case is fairly long with a square shaft at the end that the speedo gear drives... The part that they gave me is short & has a metal drum about the diameter of a nickel & .75 in long... Still no speed :-(

The part they gave you sounds odd, have any pics?

Did you check your wiring against the wiring schematics Terry posted?

The short metal drum one sounds like an electronic speed sensor for a rubicon (or vehicle with an sye).

I love how these places ask you for specific details about your vehicle & still give you the wrong part. According to AutoZone, the rear axle for a 2005 Jeep TJ Wangler X with the 4.0 & auto trans is the Dana 44. I've argued with them & had them crawl under the Jeep to see that the diff gasket they tried to sell me would NOT fit my D35... SHM

Matt, also verify that your speedometer gauge is working by holding the odometer button while turning the key to the run position so that it will do a self check.. If you need a wiring diagram for the sensor let me know..

What should I look for when doing this?

It said "no faults" & the speedo moved... & my 4WD light came on... it hasn't been on since I got it, thought the bulb was burnt out

Ok... new VSS installed & still no speed registering :-\ what do I do now?

Back