Does anyone know these wheels?

Joseph.smith54

I will try to remember to post a better pic of a clean one tomorrow.

Attachments

• image-2102897916.jpg
    image-2102897916.jpg
    533.3 KB · Views: 21

They're aluminum right? They must have been way popular, my Dad has a set on his cj5. I'm not sure who made them, but I'd like to know as well.

Going to google, typing in "aluminum slotted wheels cj5" gives much better results than "cj5 aluminum wheels". I guess they were a factory option. Is that right?

They are made out of magnesium! Most likely an old Mickey Thompson or American Racing wheel. That's a good find! They will need to be thoroughly inspected for cracking tho. If they are in one piece you could prob pull a good penny out of them at a hot rod swap meet.

If they are factory originals (term used loosely) they are 5 slot aluminum rims made for AMC by Kelsey Hayes. If that is what they are, they are somewhat rare and desirable. BUT To be Honest, those are most likely aftermarket knock off 5 slot wheels that were made by several aftemarket companies.

99% of the rims Kelsey Hayes made for Willys and AMC were steel, but by the late 70's early 80's some aluminum wheels were produced and found their way on some CJ's as a dealer installed option as an upgrade on renegades and tuxedo parks for example.

I had the same wheels on my 72 Chevy, they were magnesium American Racing

Oh man, those look terribal on that Jeep...tell ya what just to help out a fellow forum member I'll buy 'em. (this was a joke- attempted humor- please do not be offended) I've see these over the years on vintage 4X4's, Jeeps, ford trucks and early broncos. I love 'em, they're not a wheel you see very often, very retro and period correct for the 70's. They will really set your Jeep appart from the rest. Mothers mag polish, some steel wool, cotton rags and several beer will make 'em stand tall.

Those show up fairly regularly on craigslist here

American racing ansen wheels
I remember the ansen slots. A friend broke a cragar SST rim on his '67 AMC rambler w/small block project back in the eighties , replaced them with ansen slots. The ansen slots never gave you a problem as long as the tires were mounted correctly and no tool marks ruined the bead and caused rim leaks. Had to make sure you used the correct lugs with them , had to fit the through the holes . No exceptions.

I finally found a set that looks identical to them. Labeled as Ansen ET US Indy Western style aluminum slotted wheels 15 x 10. I also did see the stock style that look a lot like them but not quite as deep. I found them on eBay. Way too expensive for my blood. I'll keep a close look on craigslist. I get on there occasionally and search for jeep ford rims 5x5.5. No winners yet but I'm not in a huge hurry. Wheels and tires will be the final touch to this project.

One man's toilet is another man's punch bowl, and while I know there are many detractors of 'aluminum slots' I've liked them myself on most of the older cars/trucks I've had over the years including my old '77 CJ I had years ago.

You will probably see more 8's than 10's, that's one reason I like yours so much. Just be patient, keep an eye out they'll fall in your lap when you least expect it. There was a set on a late 70's ford 4x4 for sale down the road from me a while back. I considered asking the owner if he would trade 'em for my Mickey Thompsons. My Mickeys are nice and a great wheel but they're common as cell phones. Those wheels will really enhance the old school look of your Jeep.

One man's toilet is another man's punch bowl, and while I know there are many detractors of 'aluminum slots' I've liked them myself on most of the older cars/trucks I've had over the years including my old '77 CJ I had years ago.

What type of detractors for aluminum slots?

What type of detractors for aluminum slots?

The word is they'll crack if in the "rough stuff". if you hit a rock at speed a steel wheel will dent/bend & can be pounded back out ,but an aluminum wheel will crack. That said I've always loved the aluminum slots on CJs. I had them on my old "58 CJ5 thanks to a PO.

I have to say that the aluminum rims on a CJ REALLY make it look like it was meant to , mean and aggressive ! I dig that ! Unfortunately , yes , aluminum won't hold long off road . Loose dirt will allow for the torque to start tearing up the lug holes first and the cracks just spread from there. Spoke flex dosen't help either. Those aluminum rims hold up for a while , but how long can we trust them for ? They will eventually crack and break . We know steel is best off road , so I guess it's going to be a individual thing ? If aluminum braks on the street with tire boiling and sharp turns and curves , well , off road will take its toll . I don't think Joe wants to beat on his project jeep , but he will find himself having fun soon with it and we don't want it spoiled just because of an inferior part , namely a rim . We know that can be nasty !

I think it depends on how you wheel. If you run the tire pressure real low and are heavy on the throttle in the rocks they prob wont last long. If it's a dual purpose rig and you wheel it like you might drive it to work on monday they'll last right on. Also if you see yourself adding lockers and swaping the AMC 20 out for a dana 60 then going for 37's...the wheels will probably be swapped also. Untill you get to that point in my opin they're fine. I wouldn't change 'em til they were busted and useless, they're just too cool.

I think it depends on how you wheel. If you run the tire pressure real low and are heavy on the throttle in the rocks they prob wont last long. If it's a dual purpose rig and you wheel it like you might drive it to work on monday they'll last right on. Also if you see yourself adding lockers and swaping the AMC 20 out for a dana 60 then going for 37's...the wheels will probably be swapped also. Untill you get to that point in my opin they're fine. I wouldn't change 'em til they were busted and useless, they're just too cool.

:agree:

Back