'05 tune up time

prariepunk

Ok... A lot has happened since I was active last :-( most recent is that my catalytic converter took a big dump on me & crippled the jeep momentarily (auto repair guy told me it was because the jeep was over due for a tune up) I have since cut a hole on the cat so I could get to work & back. Million dollar question: HOW DO I DO A TUNE UP ON MY 2005 TJ X? Someone told me that it's just plugs but I don't think it could be that simple... can it?

In what way did the CAT take a dump? Clogged?

If clogged you were likely running rich, burning oil , not fully burning... Gas additives, maybe even crank case blowback into the TB.

In most cases things like changing oil, running some injector cleaner, cleaning the TB and IAC, changing plugs and cleaning the battery terminals and grounds. Thats about it. Check coolant and flush every 3 to 5 yrs.

There are other things for drivetrain like fluid changes and greasing fittings... Tire rotation.

Plugs only, on an '05. There are no plug wires as the coil packs mount directly over the plugs.

The '05 has an o2 sensor behind the catalytic converter so your mileage and performance will suffer until the converter is replaced.

Plugs only, on an '05. There are no plug wires as the coil packs mount directly over the plugs.

The '05 has an o2 sensor behind the catalytic converter so your mileage and performance will suffer until the converter is replaced.

The 05 has four O2 sensors and three CATs. The O2's are located pre and post the mini cats.

If you change plugs buy double platinum or iridium tip plugs. Iridium are more expensive but take higher heat before oxidizing or burning off the plug.

Prariepunk:

Again what was the symptoms and how did the cat fail?

Plugs only, on an '05. There are no plug wires as the coil packs mount directly over the plugs. The '05 has an o2 sensor behind the catalytic converter so your mileage and performance will suffer until the converter is replaced.
I like not having to buy wires, but I HATE that damn coil pack!

If you change plugs buy double platinum or iridium tip plugs. Iridium are more expensive but take higher heat before oxidizing or burning off the plug.

Prariepunk:

Again what was the symptoms and how did the cat fail?
I know to buy double tip high end plugs & one day it felt like I was trying to tow a house & would bog down when I stepped on it... h#ll, it would only idle

Back