Leaky water pump in an '05

prariepunk

She just started leaking today... Should I buy a new gasket or replacement pump. It's got about 185K on it.

It is not the gasket that leaks at 185K on it. replace the pump.

Last edited:
I don't know if there's any Hi flow water pumps available for the 4.0L like the 304 and 360's. Check with 4WD hardware or Quadratech or maybe from one of the vendors in this site. Just make sure you check the direction of the impeller in comparison to the old one before you install the new pump.

Sent from my iPad using Jeepz

Found a high flow pump from FlowKooler for $107... I might order that tomorrow. Just empty every pocket, right?

DEFINATELY check the rotation of the pump as SteelHeadz suggested! Reverse flow or not , got the wrong pump once for my 4.0 H.O. and got hot in minutes . My fault for trusting the counter guy . Sold me one for a Renix era 4.0 . Like to know how a high flow pump works out on your jeep , just curious as I got a stock replacement pump and runs at decent temperature. Just got to make sure to burp the cooling system real well. Air pockets are a b**** !

Do some research on high flow pumps. Some are larger impellers that hit and will cause issues. Also if coolant flows too quickly it does not get enough time to collect (in engine) and dispell(in radiator) heat causing overheating issues. If you were fine with the system for 185k why mess with it.?

Do some research on high flow pumps. Some are larger impellers that hit and will cause issues. Also if coolant flows too quickly it does not get enough time to collect (in engine) and dispell(in radiator) heat causing overheating issues. If you were fine with the system for 185k why mess with it.?

Good looking out! Also I'm not positive I want to keep the 4.0 in the end so why upgrade what's worked this far. Stock pump is less than $60 too

Good to know. I haven't had any problems on my AMC 360 since I've switched to the hi flow waterpump. The impeller is larger than the stock but doesn't hit the timing cover. .

Steelheadz, If you have a "good" radiator and cooling system you probably wont have a issue with overheating. The over heating issue that I have seen seems to come from stock systems that are not in top shape and as stated above, the pump moves the coolant too fast for it to be cooled. With a good working system, I haven't heard of it too much.

I bought a Duralast pump with a lifetime guarantee & a high flow Hesco thermostat housing. Gonna install pump today & thermostat when it gets here :-D

Steelheadz, If you have a "good" radiator and cooling system you probably wont have a issue with overheating. The over heating issue that I have seen seems to come from stock systems that are not in top shape and as stated above, the pump moves the coolant too fast for it to be cooled. With a good working system, I haven't heard of it too much.

On normal driving I didn't have any issues with cooling the engine down however, when I'm using my jeep on the ranch, it idles most of the time to crawl around in tight spots. The temperature gets way too high and starts to boil out even with the factory heavy duty cooling fan setup during the summer. I'm now running a hi flow waterpump, 3 core aluminum radiator and an adjustable electric fan. No problem since.

I figure if I do ANYTHING with the drivetrain it'll be to stroke the 4.0 (to 4.6 I believe. That's what Golem has). I'll keep you posted on the new thermostat & housing. Every time I think we're done with Ohio winter, it comes right back... It's supposed to be 50° today but a high in the teens for Fri :'(

& a 160° thermostat

Aaaaaaaant end of game!!! The PCM looks for 160 deg to go from open to closed loop. You are looking at higher fuel consumption and other issues. You need a 195 deg thermo. Even if you put a 180 deg thermo in the PCM will mess with the fuel ratio to get to 210.

Stant makes a good thermo . Never buy a fail safe as they do and will fail in my and others experience.

The hi flow housing. Do some research on this as well I think there is a fitment issue with some model years.

Did you have a cooling issue other than leaky pump?

If not, don't fix what isn't broken.

If so detail the issue.

My radiator was replaced in January when it exploded due to the crappy thermoplastic top, then my pump started leaking, now I noticed that my thermostat housing is leaking & my hoses are cracking & squishy when I squeeze them... I figured I may as well replace my whole cooling system because it's all seen better days & I don't want it to fail on the trail (or on the road)

Aaaaaaaant end of game!!! The PCM looks for 160 deg to go from open to closed loop. You are looking at higher fuel consumption and other issues. You need a 195 deg thermo. Even if you put a 180 deg thermo in the PCM will mess with the fuel ratio to get to 210.

Stant makes a good thermo . Never buy a fail safe as they do and will fail in my and others experience.

The hi flow housing. Do some research on this as well I think there is a fitment issue with some model years.

Wow, I didn't figure it's mess with the system that bad!!! & I'm looking into fitment issues with the housing

Wow, I didn't figure it's mess with the system that bad!!! & I'm looking into fitment issues with the housing
I think the easiest way to verify clearance in the water jacket is to use a modeling clay ( play doh) against the impeller and outer cylinder wall that the pump will bolt up,closest to . Hope this helps and all works out for you.

Back