Anybody run a Teraflex Super Short SYE

prariepunk

I'm thinking I'm gonna order the kit from Tom Woods... Teraflex SS SYE & Tom Woods rear shaft. Any advice/feedback? Yeah, I'm spending a lot of money on it but it's finally paid off :-D

Attachments

• file_40.jpg
    file_40.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 1,683

I run a super short SYE but it's from PORC, much cheaper. I added a bunch of other mods to the 231 at the same time, since it's open.

I have a rugged ridge sye, and a cut down Cherokee front driveshaft. It works well and saved some cash.

The driveshaft was 35 from a pick n pull, and the driveshaft shop charged me 90 or so to cut it down.

the the sye install was much easier than I expected. I left the transfer case in the jeep.

if you go with a super short sye you'll end up with an electronic speedo sensor, so simply changing the gear to offset larger tires will no longer be an option

if you go with a super short sye you'll end up with an electronic speedo sensor, so simply changing the gear to offset larger tires will no longer be an option

Will I have to hook it up to a computer?

I still haven't traced the short in the ground wire from the transmission to the computer... so my speed isn't reading anyway... I'm never speeding

Will I have to hook it up to a computer?

Stock Jeeps, as well as full size SYE kits use a mechanical gear to determine the speed you're going. When you upgrade your tires, you just swap in a different $10 gear.

super short SYEs use an electronic speed sensor, because there isn't any room for a mechanical gear. the problem with this is that you can't easily correct for speed. If you want to get an accurate speedo you'll need an electronic gizmo inline to change the speed. You can see my install of the SpeedoHealer here:
http://www.jeepz.com/forum/product-reviews/41785-speedohealer-correcting-your-speedometer.html
There are cheaper options, but I liked that this didn't require cutting.

Both the mechanical and electronic SYEs will plug into your factory harness.

If you have a manual transmission then an accurate speedo isn't a big deal, but if you have an automatic then the transmission uses the vehicle speed to determine shift points.

Stock Jeeps, as well as full size SYE kits use a mechanical gear to determine the speed you're going. When you upgrade your tires, you just swap in a different $10 gear.

Rubicons do not use the speedo gear. For those who need to know.

Back