No spark. Please help.

chris61

I was driving and the 1961 cj5 died. I replaced the spark plugs, the ignition coil, the distributor, and the battery. It's turning over but no spark. Been working on it for awhile and am at a loss. About to take it to a shop..

Have you checked for voltage at the positive wire to positive side of ignition coil ? A 1961 will not have the duraspark ignition so this system should be very basic. That wire is fed from the ignition switch . That's where we used to hot wire them in the old days to get them to start without the key. If it is not hot when the ignition is in on position , time to look at the ignition switch to see if power is making it to the switch. Forgot to mention , if you got voltage at the positive side of the coil , you will have to check the points and condenser if they're bad .

Last edited:
Agree with greg about the switch and points. Also check the ballast, I had one that droped the voltage too much and I had no spark.
I had 12v going into the ballast and only around 5- 6 coming out, should be more like 9v. **** What engine do you have??? F, L head, or buick odd or even fire? If you have the odd fire it is very easy to get the wrong dist (even fire), and I think that would give no spark

Last edited:
Back