5th gear issues on my Yj

Ghost Rider

Hi guys,
just my YJ out for a ride today and everything was running smooth as always and all of a sudden, after I started to move from a stop light, when a switched in the 5th gear I start to hear a weird sound under the car. It sounds just like a baseball card against spinning spokes on a bicycle wheel..... It only happens on the fifth gear. All the others gears seem fine. It is a 2.5 L engine and the original AX transmission. Any ideas??? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I'm no expert at the AX 5 , if that's what your jeep has or if Renault made a transmission for it back then but I sounds like the syncronizer ring is hanging up on the hub. Since there is no way to remove any inspection cover , there isn't one on this transmission , inspection is difficult.
The only way I can think of to inspect it is to place it in fifth with the engine off and listen to it while moving the jeep slowly . I would try fourth and then fith to see if there is a difference . Would have to look through my shop manual if fifth shares th syncro with fourth but I think it is its own syncro. Would need to look this up but the only thing that comes to mind is if a speedo and speed sensor is near and could be coming into play. Got to hit the book for this one .
Hoping another member may have dealt with this and can share their experience ?

I'm no expert at the AX 5 , if that's what your jeep has or if Renault made a transmission for it back then but I sounds like the syncronizer ring is hanging up on the hub. Since there is no way to remove any inspection cover , there isn't one on this transmission , inspection is difficult.
The only way I can think of to inspect it is to place it in fifth with the engine off and listen to it while moving the jeep slowly . I would try fourth and then fith to see if there is a difference . Would have to look through my shop manual if fifth shares th syncro with fourth but I think it is its own syncro. Would need to look this up but the only thing that comes to mind is if a speedo and speed sensor is near and could be coming into play. Got to hit the book for this one .
Hoping another member may have dealt with this and can share their experience ?
Had a look at the manual and fifth shares reverse as I was thinking since they're on the same gate . The transmission splits apart with the main case forward of an intermediate plate that holds main and countershafts and bearings but the reverse and fifth gears are in the tail.
Maybe thats a good thing and the trans could be serviced in the jeep ? Kind of doubt that but at least it may not be a complete tear down , at least we hope ? Not sure about the speedo or speed sensor though .

Thank you for your help. Again, going through 1st through 4th no problem at all. Reverse seems to be quiet. The only one making that kind of noise is the 5th. It drives OK but it makes that sound and don't want to cause any damage that is not necessary. I guess is going in the shop....funny thing is that I had a chance to get a brand new clutch lady week and I got it thinking that some day I might need one. The price was right..... So now I might use it anyway..... Once again thank you for the help and for taking the time to answer my post.

Thank you for your help. Again, going through 1st through 4th no problem at all. Reverse seems to be quiet. The only one making that kind of noise is the 5th. It drives OK but it makes that sound and don't want to cause any damage that is not necessary. I guess is going in the shop....funny thing is that I had a chance to get a brand new clutch lady week and I got it thinking that some day I might need one. The price was right..... So now I might use it anyway..... Once again thank you for the help and for taking the time to answer my post.
your most welcome and hope all works out in your favor at the shop . I believe your doing the right thing by taking it in now before it really become a bigger issue than it already is .
Just hoping that there is a chance that the tail can be removed from the trans while still in the jeep after t-case is separated if that is even possible so maybe the labor bill will be a little lower ?
but let's see how the shop would rather handle it , maybe they would rather pull down the entire trans and do a proper inspection . I would respect that as long as they are good people and do right by you. Well , best of luck to you and hoping all works out well and your jeep is back in your hands soonest ! BTW , I like your forum name . Up here , we nicknamed a guy ghost rider because we already used the name " the phantom " for someone else and ghost rider fit him because it fit his style of driving ( buses , public transportation) . Well , just one of those things like they say ; " you had to be there " , then you'd see that the name fit him . Anyway , best of luck and I guess we'll be looking for your post reply on your experience at the shop . Greg

Thanks Greg. I will keep you guys posted and let you know how things turned up at the shop. I know that this will not be cheap. I could take the transmission out and bring it to them but I just don't have the time. Regarding my screen name..... It was my call name while in the service! It is one of these things that stuck with me over the years and I have lots of memories attached to it... Once again, thanks for all your help.

Drain and inspect the fluid for any brass shavings. The AX5 is notorious for 5th gear issues, usually due to running the wrong gear oil. Switching to Redline MT90 in the transmission will often improve performance and delay more serious problems, but it's a gamble at about $45 in fluid.

Left unchecked, the clip holding 5th gear in place often breaks, allowing 5th gear to slide out of place and act like neutral.

I have a '95 YJ 2.5 AX5 transmission. I had the problem with the clip sliding and not fully engaging in fifth. It sounded like santa's elves were having their way with little hammers In there. Needless to say it took off most of the teeth. I opened the tanny up to find teeth and pieces of teeth throughout the transmission. After researching the problem, which seems common, I decided to remove all of the shrapnel and completely remove 5th gear. I put it back together and she runs well. Gas milage and highway speed are the only things affected.

Back