TJ bad vibrations

prariepunk

Ok, my tj developed a vibration when I accelerate or maintain speed. It goes away when I let off the gas but returns when I touch the gas. Nothing but front brakes are new & I found the passenger caliper bolts & knuckle to be stripped. It's not Death Wobble but more like I'm driving on the rumble strip. Help please

:edit: rear driveshaft doesn't have any play in it/u joints are good

Last edited:

Crappy cell phone video sorry

Last edited:
Obviously you have been doing work on your front end so brakes are not the only new thing.

Starting basic:
Tires speed/road balanced?
No broken belts in tire?
Dirt or mid in rim?
Rim not bent and properly torqued?
Alignment proper?
Brake pads running?

If the caliper bolts are striped and the gliders not working or holding the caliper off center you could have some rubbing. The rubbing could be torquing the front end. With your foot off the pedal this is braking. Do you pull to one side?

Last edited:

Bad flex plate? I had a friend tell me that he's 80 percent sure that's what it is but its not making any additional noises at an idle

Last edited:
I could see it causing noise, but shimmy/vibe. Is the vibe in the steering wheel or in the hump?

The whole jeep shakes... Steering doesn't shake... I'm thinking it's driveline. I couldn't break the 30mm t-case fill plug loose to check the fluid level

The whole dash shakes enough that nothing stays on it... I'm not positive the front end work is responsible but this wasn't present until after that

The whole dash shakes enough that nothing stays on it... I'm not positive the front end work is responsible but this wasn't present until after that

Might. Try a dry steering test. Many times it shows loose or worn components. Plus it costs nothing.

Have someone turn the wheel full turn to full turn with engine off while you inspect all front end components. Look for loose parts from TRE wheel hubs, ball joints.

Also be sure to check control arm bushings.

I'll have the Mrs. help me with that in the am. I did that while it was running at my buddy's & he didn't see anything loose (he's a Jeeper too)

Sounds like either bad u joint or bad pinion bearings, since the vibration goes away while coasting. Pinion angle changes depending on acceleration, coasting, or deceleration.

No front drive shaft. There is no play in the rear shaft... I'll yank it & inspect... I have several u joints on hand. How bad is a pinion bearing?

I changed a u joint at the pumpkin but there is still a shake somewhere (no where near as bad... The other u joint was still in good condition so I greased it up & reinstalled

Did you move the pinion around while you were there? Often a worn ujoint will cause the pinion bearings to fail.

Turn it back & forth or move it up & down? I tried rotating it like the driveshaft & it only wiggled slightly. I didn't try moving it up & down... I can't say that I noticed any movement like that when I was rotating it

From all that was posted of the violent vibration , was starting to think you had an out of balance driveshaft or bend in it but now we see you have some detectable play in the pinion. Not likely it's only the outer bearing but if the worn u-joint caused some wear and didn't total the inner , you may get away with replacing the outer and pinion seal and re torquing but not a proper repair and can only buy some time. If not expensive , you might try this to see how long it lasts just to get an idea what condition the rear is in. But you may want to pull the inspection cover first to see how the ring gear is wearing . If noticeably worn , the inner bearing is most likely on its way out to . Key thing here is that the pinion should have no detectable play , like a front rotor or wheel bearing , it should be tight , just not binding. I would say to drop the shaft one more time from the rear and pull the cover to do a good inspection . Wouldn't be a bad idea at this point to get the wheels off the ground to take load off the side bearings and pry at the case to check the inner bearings while apart. Better to find now if you need a mini overhaul than to blow the rear and have to drive home on the front. Just a thought.

Another thought this morning. How is your engine and transmission mounts?

You have a 4 in lift. Did you say you checked control arm bushings? I agree on the pinion angle set properly? Worn parts will allow movement in the pinion angle and set in acceleration vibes.

Last edited:
Back