Sluggish Power Steering on TJ

Habsfan124

Lately, when I start my '04 TJ, the steering is very stiff, and requires more muscle power to turn the wheels. It is almost like the wheels are fighting me not to turn. It gets better once I have driven for a little. But it usually pops up when I am going slow, like turning into a parking space. I checked the Power Steering fluid level, and it seems to be fine. Not sure if I should attempt a flush of the fluid as a first try to fixing the problem. I am not that much of a do-it- yourselfer, so I would probably have this done by a professional. However, I am new to the area, and have not made any trustworthy relationships with any mechanics. So was hoping to understand the sequence of things to try in order to correct the problem, so that a mechanic does not immediately go to the most expensive solution.

Any thoughts?

Any chance you are in four wheel drive?

First thing I checked was if I was in 4 WD. I was not. Other than being embarassed, wish it were that :roll:.

As for the axel U joints, how would I check them to determine if there is something wrong? As a non-DIYer, can I look at them and notice a flaw?

Well, now I have a project for next Saturday....maybe even an evening this week. I can tell you I do not hear any clicking sounds when I turn, but will check the joints nonetheless. Thanks so much, that is tremendous information.

Any other ideas if the Axel U Joints check out fine?

What tire size are you running?

I'm guessing you checked that there is a belt spinning the power steering pump and the correct direction.

Fluid level in the pump.

What RPMs are you idling at?

How much lift? Any body lift?

Belt looks fine. When standing looking at the engine from the front of the jeep, the belt spins clockwise. Fluid level is at the "C", which I assume is the level when Cold, so that checks out good. RPM's when idling is at 500 RPM's.

No lift of any sort. Tires are 31's.

I briefly examined the Axel U joints (with tires still on and not jacked up), but they appear fine. Will still check more thoroughly within the next week. I wonder if another area of the problem could be the steering column?

Your idle should be 750 -800 rpm. Low rpm low hydraulic assist from the pump.

Jack the front up and turn the wheel left to right with engine off if it is difficult check the joint in the steering column under the hood driver side. Check it the same ad the u joint. Also if it is binding.

I swapped the steering box and changed the column length to get it out. When replacing I didn't adjust it properly and it bound.

Thanks so much for your great tips. I appreciate your extra effort to help me.

This issue is so weird. I decided to use the Jeep to go to work this morning, in order to try to sense any of the issues you have mentioned, and the steering worked perfectly....even backing out of the garage when cold. I will work this weekend on the things you mention. It is, for the moment, an intermittent issue, but I will try to get to the bottom of it.

Well, I just checked the Axel u-joints, and they seem fine. I did the magic marker test, and will monitor the marks after some road driving. I checked the Steering column, and everything checks out fine. While I had the jeep jacked up, I checked the Drive shaft u joints and they seem fine.

So I guess I am left with either the RPM issue, or flush the power steering fluid. Which should I try first? And are there any other ideas on the steering issue?

You could also have a issue with the power steering pressure sensor. I had the same issue on my 97 TJ and that turned out to be the problem. I replaced the faulty sensor and have had no problem since. The sensor is right behind the pump on the high pressure line and has some wires going to it. I had to use a code reader to diagnose the issue.

Thanks Steven. Sounds like a "Sensor" could work one minute and not work the next. Is that what you experienced? My jeep's steering is good most of the time, and only occasionally is sluggish. I have not experienced the problem for a couple of weeks now. But does the sensor actually control anything, or does it just report issues with the power steering mechanism?

The sensor tells the computer what pressure the pump is at. At low speed the computer reads the info and the rpm info and adjusts the rpm as necessary to turn the tires without a huge strain on the pump or the driver having to fight the wheel to make the tires turn.

Back