Taillight issues 1990 wrangler

eric m

To start; it's a 1990 Wrangler 4.2 5spd. The problem, started as no brake lights and turned into no turn signals. I just got done replacing the turn signal switch which fixed these issues, but upon reconnecting the battery it blew the taillight fuse, twice. I'm kind of at a loss for the night, I could use some ideas on what to check, I did find a wire grounded under the dash that ended in a plug, I'm not sure what it connected. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Follow the wiring from the back forward. Verify any splices or connection are not dead or shorted. Don't forget the trailer hitch connection.

What color is the shorted wire?

20080328_191846_wiring-1.png

Last edited:
The wire that was grounded is black. It ended in a female "clip" connector, the kind that fits over a blade style tab. At first glance I didn't see where it used to connect, it might not even have anything to do with the problem.
Thanks for the diagram, it'll be Saturday before I tear into it again.

cj,s had a wire that pluged into the hard doors for interior lights when the door was opened, could the hanging wire be that? I would also take off your tail light lenes and check for corrosion in the bulb sockets.

I would start with inspecting the wires from the tail lights forward and check for any bare wires of a place where someone hacked up the wiring for something like a trailer connection or an alarm.

Did the fuse blow exactly when you connected the battery or when you pressed the brakes, turn the blinker or turn on park lights?

depending on this, things to inspect:

Hazard switch
Flasher
Brake switch
head light switch

I would start with inspecting the wires from the tail lights forward and check for any bare wires of a place where someone hacked up the wiring for something like a trailer connection or an alarm.

Did the fuse blow exactly when you connected the battery or when you pressed the brakes, turn the blinker or turn on park lights?

depending on this, things to inspect:

Hazard switch
Flasher
Brake switch
head light switch

The fuse blew as soon as the battery was reconnected. At the moment every thing else works, headlights, brake lights, front and tear turn signals. I'll start going over all the wiring on Saturday.

I would check for continuity with a ground on teh tail light wiring. Sounds like there is contact somewhere. IIRC, the tail lights should be on teh same curcuit as the park lights and come directly fro mthe switch to the bulb. Was the fuse blowing with the switch off?

Thanks for the info. Yes the fuse was blowing with the switch off, and yes the parking lights are on the same circuit as the taillights.

Back