Shifter knob

bigschrec

Have a 97 TJ and wanted to extend the shifter knob. I don't know how shifter knob comes off. I guess it should unscrew but it doesn't seem to budge as well as if I pull it. Can someone tell me how it comes off. If it does come off that is. Thank you.

The circular number region is a cap that covers the nut holding the knob on. Use a thin screwdriver to carefully pry the cap up.

The circular number region is a cap that covers the nut holding the knob on. Use a thin screwdriver to carefully pry the cap up.

Yup. Also, it helps if it's warmed up too. Makes the rubber a little more pliable and it also helps retain it's shape when you put it all back together. There's a 9/16" nut on the inside once you get the plastic off.

Not on TJ's.

Also if you loose that cap, a beer bottle cap also fits in there snuggly for a "custom" look.

Manual
handthrottle06-1.jpg

Not on TJ's.

Also if you loose that cap, a beer bottle cap also fits in there snuggly for a "custom" look.

As if I needed another reason to drink beer.....Now I'll be looking for the coolest bottle cap to adorn my Jeep with. :givemebeer::drunk:

Well I bought and installed the browning bullet shift knob. Looks real cool. Just wish it was screw on not the set screw crap. Probably gonna throw some lock tight on her.

Back