Reverse light options and suggestions

prariepunk

Ok, so I just installed some LED stop/turn/tail lights & my lovely lady was asking about reverse lights. Are LEDs bright enough to do the job? How would I go about hooking them up to the factory harness? I only want the stock function, I don't care about turning them on when not in reverse. All of the oval lights I've seen have three wires but the stock bulb only had one (purple/black). Anybody tackled this?

Can't tell you about LED but there are many better LED systems now than ever. I purchased KC hilites back up lights with the wiring harness. I pulled power from an open fuse in the front and ran it back to the drivers rear corner. I mounted the relay in the taillight (though you could mount it up in the rear corner.)
I spliced into the stock reverse lights going into the signal. The lights are mounted gust above the rear bumper using the bumper bolts in the drilled out KC bracket.

I installed a pair of the small oval Rigid LED lamps on the rear of my Jeep. Wired it on a separate switch however, i can wire it straight to the reverse lamp switch from the transmission if needed be. It's more than enough light you'll need when backing up.

Sent from my iPad using Jeepz

Most of what I'm seeing shows three wires for the reverse lights (red/+, black/- & white/ground)... but the harness only has one wire designated for the reverse lights (purple/black) how do I make the connection?

I haven't seen one like your describing. There should only be a Ground and a Positive on a reverse lamp. In this case, the red wire or the positive from the lamp should be wired to the reverse lamp circuit on the Jeep and the ground should be attached on the body..

I agree, most LED lights should have two wires, POS and GND. Find the wiring to the reverse switch on the transmission, your switched power coming out of that switch should run to the POS on the new LED lights.

Is the LED you are using a dual function? parking/brake replacement. If so it is kind of an overkill.
The wire will be the plus, and ground for minus.
If you have a dual brightness LED, hook the 2 plus leads to the plus wire, and ground the third wire.

The lights I've installed are oval stop/turn/tail lights. I'm looking at installing reverse lights but don't want to waste money on lights that don't throw enough light.

You probably have one black, which is ground, or negative. The other two are, low brightness for tail lights, and high brightness for brake/turn.

Connect the black wire to the ground of the jeep.
Take your pick of the others. Which ever runs the brightest is the one to use.
Try one at a time.
I don't think the trial, and error approach will give any grief....
good luck.

Some day I am going to do that on mine.

Last edited:
I've got the tail lights hooked up correctly, I don't know if matching white LEDs will provide enough light while backing up.

Link up a set of the three wire LED sets. Also any LED fog or flood will work as back up lights. And should be bright enough.

That will work Zach. I see a lot of ranch trucks here that uses that and they throw a lot of lights out enough for them to see.

Sent from my iPad using Jeepz

Back