Electrical Connection Help Please

dennisonwj

Bought this 88 Wrnagler YJ last year and I have a few questions on electrical connectors. The Jeep is a 4.2L with an AX-15 manual transmission. The carburetor is a Weber 34DGEC soon to be replaced with a MC2150. The engine is a Jaspar 258 re-manufactured.

Please tell me what the following connectors are?

I think the last picture is the stepper motor connection that was disconnected by the PO. The first 2 pictures are on the passenger side of the motor, the last 2 are on the drivers side.

Attachments

• 20140811_015856.jpg
    20140811_015856.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20140811_015939.jpg
    20140811_015939.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20140811_020133.jpg
    20140811_020133.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 20140811_020100.jpg
    20140811_020100.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 213

The first photo is the OEM harness connector for the DuraSpark distributor setup. The second is difficult to tell by photo. The third looks a lot like a crude/early attempt at a O2 sensor (but not certain, I'm not really into the Chrysler Jeep era) and the fourth, your guess is right, it's the harness connection for the stepper motor.

The first photo is the OEM harness connector for the DuraSpark distributor setup. The second is difficult to tell by photo. The third looks a lot like a crude/early attempt at a O2 sensor (but not certain, I'm not really into the Chrysler Jeep era) and the fourth, your guess is right, it's the harness connection for the stepper motor.

Thanks buddy, I thought I had the original distributor in the jeep, I am not sure why this would be disconnected. What distributor types came in the 88's? I saw duraspark, ford, chrysler, etc. I am going to have an HEI distributor, will this be used in any way for that? Can I just route it back through the wiring harness and remove it? Also, some have said that is could be to an oil pressure switch, it that possible???

All you will need for the HEI distributor is a switched 12volt source from your ignition switch, that is it. If you get rid of the duraspark connector I would test the red wire for a switched power source and use it for the HEI, if its not a switched source you can get rid of it.

Yes,Ok...... Now that I think about it, that maybe the oil low psi cut-out. Does your exisiting distrubutor still have a harness plug connected to it?

Yes,Ok...... Now that I think about it, that maybe the oil low psi cut-out. Does your exisiting distrubutor still have a harness plug connected to it?

Yes, I think my exisitng distributor is plugged in, it turns over the Jeep and runs fine. I will take a picture of this tonight so you can see it. When I look at pictures of the appropriate oil pressure switch they have the same 2 prongs (like an electrical plug without a ground), that could slip into the slots on the connector. The problem is my block is a re-manufactured Jaspar 258. I do not see a place to plug in the oil pressure swtich itself. I read somewhere that the oil pressure sensor and oil pressure switch both may attach to a block that will be screwed into the port that the currect oil pressure sensor occupies. I have to look at an electrical model and see if I can match the color coding of the wires to determine what it truly is.

Back