REcommendations for shocks and bushings

jfrabat

OK, here's the deal. I had left the Jeep unattended for a while, and I figured it was time to do some maintenance. After greasing, changing oils, oil filters, and the regular tune-up stuff, I rotated the tires. But while doing so, I noticed my wheel bearings are a bit shady (I got wheel movement). Also, the leaf spring bushings seem to be toast. And the shocks could use a change as well (some unhappy encounters with rocks are the main culprit for the damage, especially in the rear).

So, my questions to you fellow jeepers are:

SHOCKS:
1. Are the Bilstein 5100 series worth the dough? (please tell me why; I have read that they can be a little soft...)
2. If YES, where do you recommend to get them? I understand there are some that are Jeep specific, and these are not available everywhere (mine is a YJ, by the way)
3. If NO, what brand would you recommend? It has to be comfortable enough to make 500 mile rides, but it needs to be capable of tackling offroad trails (after all, that is the reason for driving the 500 miles each way!).

BUSHINGS:
1. Poly or Rubber? Is Poly TOO hard? Will rubber last?
2. Daystar or some other brand?

WHEEL BEARINGS:
1. Where is the best place to get them?
2. Any specific brands you would recommend?

STEERING STABILIZER
OK, this one is not really shot, but it is rusted and has some encounters with rocks... Figured I may as well change it...
1. Any recommended brand, or just go with the cheap OEM replacements?
2. IF the Bilsteins are worth it, I have seen the DO make Steering Stabilizers, but I have yet to find one for the Jeep. I know the shocks have a coating to avoid rust, so that seems interesting (not to mention the whole set would match, making the Jeep look less like a color carnival). Is there one for the Jeep? Is it worth getting?

Thanks to all!

Felipe

*shocks-- cant help much there, haven't used many diff types.
*bushings- I used daystar poly bushings in the past and liked them except after a few years they started to squeak, they lasted a very long time though.
I don't think they were too stiff at all, just squeaked after a few years.
* wheel bearings-- I use Timken or moog. top brand bearings.
here, any local auto store should have them. In Costa rica im not sure. If you have to order them, try quadra tech, or 4wd parts wharehouse.
stabilizer-- I use rancho, don't know if its the best or not. I doubt it

Look for Timken bearings.

I run the Bilstein 5125 (5100 series) and I like the ride. I've seen them on sale pretty often.

I would go with an OEM stabilizer, no reason to upgrade there. Currently don't run one on my jeep after damaging the mount, this with square 36" bias ply Swampers lol.

For the stabilizer, I need one with with a clamp (I have an aftermarket tie rod that does not have the hole).

In case of the Bilsteins, any suggestions on where to buy them?

As for the bearings, I am getting conflicting information online regarding this... In one site, it says that the Timken HA597449 will fit the YJ, but in another, it says it will not! I am thinking of buying them in Amazon; they are $78.66 a pop, but there are only 3 left in stock. From what I have seen that is not a bad price, right? By the way, one of the bearings is worse than the other, but I plan to replace both, as they both got some play in them...

Felipe

Bilsteins are great shocks but I have found the the KYB shocks are based on the Bilstein patent and I have used KYBs for over 30 years on various vihicles and they have been great. I like them on CJs because the stifen up any side sway and they are easy to install if you don't cut the sring that holds the preload in compression. I have used them on my Chevy 1ton with service boxes, ive used them on service vans I've owned. I am a retired mechanical engineer who owned a military hydraulics manufacturer, and KYB is a majo hydraulics manufacturer in Japan. they are best known for their radial motors: absolutely bullet proof. Nothin bad to say about Bilstein, they are grest too but the KYBs are cheaper.

for the stabilizer, Id look a cj stabilizers. They use clamps at both ends, clamp to the axle housing and clamp to the tie rod. I would look at 76-79 years as I don't remember if the 80,s models clamp at both ends or not, but in the 70,s they did.

Back