Lost power to all ligthing in 1990 jeep yj

trevor2213

My headlights, park lights, brake lights, turn signals and Hazard lights all stopped working at the same time. The jeep runs good. I checked the fuses, none blown. I'm completely lost trying to figure this one out. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Check the light grounds. In the front under the hood close to each of the headlights the marker,and headlights are grounded.

Would a bad ground cause all the lights to fail at the same time? Or would that just cause that specific light to fail.

and check your relay(s)
Possible switch malfunction
Daytime runners, if you have, Are they working?

Lost all lights front and back. No daytime running lights. I found a corroded relay in the engine compartment located under the drivers side headlight but some quick testing makes me believe this was for some auxiliary lights that are no longer on the jeep. There is no power going to the head light switch. I'll get into the fuse box with my tester and see where that is at. I'll also double check my fuses again. This model has the inline fuses instead of a power control box. They all looked intact but if one was to go would the it be visually noticeable?

I figured it out. Was a fusible link that had melted. I found a damaged positive connector on the battery that could have caused the link to melt. I fixed the battery connector and put an inline fuse in place of the melted fusible link. All working good now.

Fusible links are usually 30A+ that is much higher than most inline fuses. They are slow blow. So a new fusible link may be a better option.

Also being the link failed and the terminal was messed up there was some bad event elsewhere. The battery is the source of power. Somewhere on the load end caused the failure. You may want to find that prior to hooking it all back up. Otherwise the link will open again or worse.

Hi,

You mentioned you resolved the issue. I unfortunately, have the same issue. I had a spark with my fog light switch and all of a sudden all powered died interior light everything. Battery tested is at over 12v. Can you tell me the color wire you replaced that contained the fusible link. My Jeep is an 89 so while I am working on the wiring I will be replacing the battery cables as the vehicle is over 25 years old. Would really appreciate the help.

Thanks

The fusible link was colored green. It should be the same colour for the 89. I could feel the break in the wire by squeezing it. The set of fusible links should be located on the firewall on the passenger side. If you trace the positive wiring from the battery it should lead you to the junction. If you have trouble finding it I can take a picture in the daylight of its location =Ejay;329381]Hi,

You mentioned you resolved the issue. I unfortunately, have the same issue. I had a spark with my fog light switch and all of a sudden all powered died interior light everything. Battery tested is at over 12v. Can you tell me the color wire you replaced that contained the fusible link. My Jeep is an 89 so while I am working on the wiring I will be replacing the battery cables as the vehicle is over 25 years old. Would really appreciate the help.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the information. Take a look last night and all of the fusible links are connected along with the positive wire to the starter relay. I will take a look tonight and inspect the green wire. What amp fuse did you use for fusible link replacement?

I originaly put in a 30 amp fuse but then changed it out to a 15 which is closer to what the wiring diagram indicated. So far so good. No burps yet with it.

Thanks for the information. Take a look last night and all of the fusible links are connected along with the positive wire to the starter relay. I will take a look tonight and inspect the green wire. What amp fuse did you use for fusible link replacement?

Having same issue. Think mine is the dash switch. Can push on it and lights come back on. Fun driving at night having to shift hold light switch and keep yj on 35's between the ditches. But that's a Jeep !

Back