Water pump replacement / cooling system advise 1980 CJ-7

jeepfan562

After replacing the water pump on my 1980 cj-7, discovered that there was a leak in one of the heater hoses (started leaking after I filled the radiator). After pulling the part off, discovered the issue was with hose housing the ported vacuum switch screws into. It is made of metal, and tubes that connect to the hoses are eroded

This part is original with AMC part number on it, an seem pretty easy to find........however,it is the housing that I m having a lot of trouble with.....

Any suggestions?????

Pictures would be great , agreed. If any of the hoses are old and deteriorated that will certainly necessitate replacement. But if the inside of the water valve is corroded , it will cause metal flakes to clog the cooling system. The heater core and radiator will suffer as the metal flakes will lodge into cooling fins and cause rust and leaks. Inspect it for internal rust and replace it . It would be good to follow up with a cooling system flush to be safe . You don't want any parts of your cooling system to fail needlessly. Even water pump seals can be at risk.

image.jpg

Thanks for your replies, here is a pic

note the erosion on bottom

Gen nybro;328908 said:
can you furnish any pics?

You can bypass this until you can find another. I believe it's a shut off valve to the heater.

I did a little searching myself and can't seem to find one just like yours either. There's a bunch of them that could be retro fitted.

I must admit this valve is an odd sort but not owning a CJ , I could not say it's a one off part. AMC was known for not being consistent through model years with production parts and may have used this thermal vacuum switch type valve for your heater valve but this is just a guess. A '78 jeep cherokee I once owned had a ball and trunnion type universal joint on its rear driveshaft that only had a two year run and I had it swapped out for a slip joint type yoke with a cardan type u-joint. I agree with steady.foot that if a direct replacement part is not located as it is doubtful , a current type valve should be sought. Your main concern is the hose diameter. The vacuum line to actuate it should be less trying to adapt . But that does raise a question ; there is a vacuum line from your dash climate control to the heater valve ? I don't currently have a vacuum schematic for these hoses and don't know their origin but there would at least have to be a manifold source for one line to feed the switch and two to the climate control for vacuum source and operation open and close I'm surmizing . At the very least , an adapter would size the 5/32" or 7/32" vacuum hose (guessing size) to the retrofitted heater valve. Those adapters should be found at any of the chain stores ( pep boys , autozone , advance auto , etc.) .

Back