Squeaking when in 4WD

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
Last time I when wheeling (summer) it was hot and dusty, and there was a pretty annoying squeaking coming from the front of my Jeep. It only happened when I was in 4wd, with my foot on the gas. It sounds like a bird, and squeaks in time with the tire rotation.

After my trip I replaced the axle ujoints, and verified there was plenty of fluid in the front axle - I had thought it fixed.

Today was the first time I tried 4WD again (this time in the snow). At one point the squeaking came back, although quieter. What do you think this is? Could it be the driveshaft joints, and if so, are those (the CV) easy to replace?

2005 TJ with an Automatic. Front Dana 30 with an Aussie Locker.

Most common front end squeek is the CV joint at the rear of the front driveshaft. Have it rebuilt before it grenades and takes out your transfer case.

Replacing the CV joints and centering ball is more challenging than your common single ujoint but not too difficult for a shade-tree mechanic. Would make a great write-up.

Rebuilding a driveshaft on the kitchen table (where it's warm) sounds like a good winter Jeep project.

Does this list sound right to you (2005 TJ 4.0):
x3 Spicer 5-1310X (non-greaseable)
Spicer 211544x CV yoke (non-greaseable)
Spicer 286418 CV seal boot (non-greaseable)

It's difficult to get accurate information on the correct part numbers - most sites just list the CV yoke for 97-02 TJs.

Check out part 404-0 on this page, that's the centering kit you need. You reuse your yokes if they're in good shape. This page is a good spicer and driveshaft reference/supplier. http://rockforddriveline.com/1210pg2.htm

Then all you need are the three ujoints. The two CV joints are different than the joint at the diff.

Typically TJ's front axels and drive shaft constantly spin both in and out of 4WD. I remember you put warn hubs in and run unlocked, correct? If so then your squeeking can be the drive shaft. Remove the drive shaft and run with the hubs locked and unlocked.

Typically TJ's front axels and drive shaft constantly spin both in and out of 4WD. I remember you put warn hubs in and run unlocked, correct? If so then your squeeking can be the drive shaft. Remove the drive shaft and run with the hubs locked and unlocked.

No, other than the aussie locker, I am all stock up front. I've replaced the axle seals, axle ujoints, and hubs upfront.

Back