tire suggestions

haybale22

I just got a 1990 YJ and am new to the whole Jeep thing. Jeep is totally stock right now except for some stainless hood accessories I added. Wheels are all stock but I want to get either the Cragar Series 315 or the M/T Classic II Wheels. Question is should I get the 15x8 rims or the 15x10 and what size tire should I then get. No lift in the jeep as of yet. Won't be doing any serious off roading just your occasional seasonal highway and trails like that.
Thanks...[addsig]

Unless you're going with super wide tires, stick with the 15X8s... you can run a 11.50" wide tire (and maybe a little wider) with no problems on an 8 inch rim.

jim[addsig]

yeah go with the 15X8. That is what I did on my 99 TJ. You can run like up to a 33 on the rim. I would go with about a 30 on no lift. That is what I did. Go BFG A/T, they are great for on and off road.......[addsig]

Thanks...one more possibly stupid question.
I have 225/75/R15 tires on right now. What size will I or should I get for the 15x8 wheels.
Also.....how long can one expect chrome over steel rims to last? Heard people have problems with the steel rusting and bubbling up the chrome.[addsig]

Hey there HayBale! Welcome to the Board! As far as the tire size goes, K-Phat is right on. Without a lift 30's would be your best bet. You might have some issues with rubbing the plastic fender flares though, but that normally only happens if you run over either a large pothole or a big speed bump. Yeah, the sleet under chrome can be an issue if it gets rust on it. Try looking in a Jeep Magazine (Quadratec... you can click on the link above.... or JC Whitney). Either or, those are the places I've found.

If you ever look for a lift and are thrifty about it, there's a kit from Rough Country that's pretty good. It should give you the articulation you'll need. Welcome Again!

GR93 :-D [addsig]

You can fit up to a 12.5" wide tire on an 8" rim. Stick with 235/75R15 or 30"x9.5" on a YJ with no lift. You may slightly contact the fender flares, but no biggie. Welcome.[addsig]

I would assume the stock wheels on the 90 YJ were 15x7?
If I got 15x7s could I keep my 225/75R15 tires? Tires are still really good and I like them so would rather just put them on the rims I get.

thanks again...

Have the Quadratec Mag already and my wish list is growing everyday.[addsig]

I am running 235-75-r15 on a 15X8 wheel (got both from seperate sources cheap) I have ha no problems and have never thrown a bead, But I also don't air down much past 25 psi.

Johnny[addsig]

I'm running 31s on 10.5 by 15s, with a stock suspension on a 91 yj. It has some problems rubbing on the frame when i turn really sharp. It rubs on the flares when i'm doing serious articulation. Then again, my tires are bald, so i'll most likley have more problems when i put new ones on. It depends if you are willing to put up with a few problems in sacifice for bigger tires.

James[addsig]

Your tires aren't rubbing your frame when you turn, they're rubbing your leaf springs. There's a steering adjustment that you can set somewhere on your front end to stop the wheels before they hit the leaf spring. I run 30x9.5 on almost stock suspension with no problem.

Yes, the stock wheel size is 15x7 and yes the p225/75r15 will fit on this rim. Even a 31x10.50 will fit on a 15x7 rim. Anything bigger than 10.5 wide tires will require 8 inch rim.

HTH

c[addsig]

Back