Strange no start this morning

From another thread on 'Black Betty';
So, saturday morning I get into the AFB that I pulled the night before. I noticed carbon was still built up in the air horn. Disassembly found two gaskets between the air horn and the throttle body. Carbon was throughout the carburator and the floats were misaligned and out of specification. All of this after "two rebuilds" of this $300 carburator rebuild.

Bringing these and other pics to the "experts'" shop I softly and diplomatically asked for a part or entire credit as evidenced by the shoddy work in the photos. He remarked "that double gasket was there when you gave it to me" (So why didn't he make it right during the process of the 'rebuild'?) And when showing him this photo he said that "my carb cleaner wouldn't remove that stuff" This was no kid I was dealing with.

What a f@cking moron!

It's been a little over a week and after initial cleaning I thought it best to Carb Dip just in case of any more crud. I rejetted back to .098 primaries and .095 secondaries and after priming the fuel line she started up and I ran her around the block and she ran fine. Got to clean the burned on crud in the air cleaner and maybe adjust the choke a little and I'll be set to move on why my turn signals quit working.

maybe the bolt that holds the light housing to the jeep body has corrosion behind it?

what is the signal problem anyways, i have forgotten

YEP! It was the flasher relay (sounds like a pervert race), in all my borned days, this is the first flasher relay failure I've ever seen.

Now it's on to installing my vise so I can straighten out the rocker bridges (valve train) on the starboard side then a few cosmetics and it'll be ready for the next disaster.

Last edited:
006.jpg

007.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

After the wiring I'm going to0 try again to open up that dang ABS ECU and see if I can resolder some connections, Getting that dang lid off is sure being a challenge.
WP_20170207_07_17_47_Pro.jpg

WP_20170207_11_11_46_Pro.jpg

C-UsersLLThalerPicturesGMCABSWP_20160920_06_43_29_Pro.jpg

EPILOGUE
Well winter is almost over and I took 'BB' out to work last week and she ran out fine. Fired right up after running the starter a little while and no more spitting out of the carburator. It turned out that with that stuck valve the compression stroke was squirting fuel back through the intake and out of the AFB's ari horn.

I would've never guessed going in that this was the issue. A lift of the lynch lid to all here and Gary at Gary's Automotive that lent me a shop space and borrowed knowledge in pulling/reinstalling the cylinder head.

This was a struggle but glad to hear a positive ending. Enjoy

Not sure what happened to greg or dragon...who provided alot of input.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Back