'05 TJ no start

prariepunk

Jeeple, I'm in need of tech help!!!! My '05 TJ is dead in the water. It won't start. I just replaced the starter but that wasn't it. I tried to jump the starter, it turns over but won't start. What do I do. It's my only vehicle. I have power to the fuel pump & it primes for pressure but when I turn the key to ignition, I get nothing. When I turn the key to accessories, everything acts normal... I'm thinking COIL RAIL or TRANSMISSION SWITCH or the actual tumbler in the steering column... What are your thoughts?

I have an 01TJ. It ran fine to the store, but wouldn't start to get home. I had the same issues, my problem was the throttle position sensor failed. So the Jeep turned over but never started.

For the ign tumbler, how does the key feel.? I had the actuator bar fail and everything worked with the starter not spinning. Verify voltage to the starter, but you say it turns.

Crank sensor can fail suddenly.

Any codes?

The key is pretty loose in there... like a mid 70's Chevy

I have an 01TJ. It ran fine to the store, but wouldn't start to get home. I had the same issues, my problem was the throttle position sensor failed. So the Jeep turned over but never started.

So it could also be the TPS? Did you have any codes that showed up?

It ended up being the ignition switch actuator...

Glad you got it fixed. When my bar pin went there was no clicks in the key when you turned it an the starter didn't kick in. But everything else was powered.

Again glad you got it fixed.

Yeah, the 2 security T10 screws that hold the ignition actuator up were easy (no hassle) to remove but the one security T10 that hold the ignition switch was in there so tight, I stripped the torx bit I had & had to run to get another one... They can't make anything easy anymore, can they?

Easy? No! Then all these jeep owners will be fixing their own jeep. Oh Waite a minute. Never Mind.

Actually this was one of the easier replacements. There is a good YouTube video from doorman.

Back