disconnected transfer case lever

mark sr

I got in my jk [2010] to go to church this evening and the transfer case lever no longer works - it just flops around :( Obviously it's come unhooked or something. It's currently stuck in 4 wheel high. My Haynes manual isn't very clear on how to access it. I've got the console loose but not removed. Has anyone had to work on this and have insight as to what I'll probably need to do? Is it something that needs to be done topside? or underneath? Everything is pretty crowded under the jeep and I could neither see nor feel where the shift lever comes thru the floor so I assume it's all cable underneath ??

While I wasn't able to completely remove the console I did get it up enough to identify the problem. There is a clip/keeper missing that holds the lever unto the linkage. Now I just need to figure out and find what I need to get it back together.

Got er done! The dealer wasn't much help they claimed the bushing was vehicle specific and required the VIN number and then further claimed I couldn't buy bushing for my jeep but would need to order the whole assembly :eek: So I ordered 3 bushings [part #68064273AB] on the internet for $12 including shipping [got one extra just in case] That bushing fits all 2007-2015 JKs plus other jeep and dodge vehicles. They came today.

The top bushing was easy to install but the bottom one gave me trouble. You have to work by feel and my wrist/hand barely fit. I think if I had removed the skid plate I would have had more room and maybe installed it easier. Not sure if there would have been a time savings.

Glad to hear you were able to get those bushings replaced. Always fun when you can't see & can hardley reach the part you're working on.
You may be right about dropping the skid plate...dropping the plate,supporting the trans & xfer case,replacing all may be more trouble than fighting your way thru the job.
"Jeep work" is good work!!

Back