hate to bring it up again...

LGR

So I was doing more research on changing axle gearing in my TJ and i'm still stumped on how to physically do the switch. From 3.73 to 4.56. Anyone know a link or anything of how to take apart the diff and change the gearing? Or is this something that should be left to the pros? Also gotta play with the T-Case and the Slip Yoke but I managed to find alot of stuff on that..more would help, but I should be solid on that. help please!
-Evan
[addsig]

From all I have gathered You need to leave the diff repairs and changes to the big boys unless you are just really up on the beast. I am very limited as to what I do and what I let the pro's handle. Diffs transmissions, and transfercases are something I just do not see ol tug pulling apart any time soon. Tug[addsig]

yeah i don't trust myself takin apart the big stuff. The dana 35 rear and 30 front should have no problem handing 33" tires right? [addsig]

it IS intimidating, but at my first attempt, i'm well over a year on the gears i installed myself as a rookie, and all is fine... there are a few small parts in there, but keep track of where they came from, and where they go, and you should be fine. if you decide to do it, you would notice that an telescopic magnet is benefical. If i remember right, the hardest part was getting the spiders back in... if you can think in 3 dimensions, its not bad... all in all, it wasn't bad

get a can of brake cleaner... it helps in getting stuff clean so you can see what you are doing.. and... if you are just getting new gears, you might want to consider freshening up the bearings and seals while you are in there

edited by: Snitty, May 05, 2003 - 02:09 AM[addsig]

If you don't know how to do it, you probably should leave it up to the pros. It requires many specialized tools and exact measurements, as well as the know-how to correctly shim the diff for the correct contact pattern on the ring&pinion.

The stock axles will handle 33" tires with moderate wheelin.[addsig]

oh man, so far two for the pros and one for the do it yourself might take it to pros if its not costly. Say..Snitty the change itself is swappin out the pinion and spur or whatever they called?
-Evan[addsig]

me and some friends just opened up a ford 9 inch but the guy we did it for failed to tell us that he doesn't even have the gears to put in it yet. bloodied my nuckles for nothing.[addsig]

so then the idea is to have a friend do it so i don't get my hands hurt. heh[addsig]

Back